X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ridgid Oacillating Drum and Belt Sander

I purchased one of these units about a year ago. I need an oscillating drum sander but was looking for a good buy. I found this one at Home Depot.
    I do a lot of book racks and blanket racks. Although I am no Norm Abrams, I really like how this unit has helped me make more precision pieces.
    I would recommend this for a user like myself.

Re: Ridgid Oacillating Drum and Belt Sander

Parmy,

Welcome to the Ridgid forum!

That is one of the Ridgid tools on my wish list. I've noticed quite a few positive comments on it.

Thanks for your post,

CWS

Comment

This is a great tool! It totally saves my poor band and jig saw cuts!

Big G

Comment

I just got one too. Works great!

Comment

This is a great tool and very versatile.
          I suggest you investigate if your local Home Depot carries
          replacement sanding drums.

You can also find them on E-Bay and on various wood worker
          suppliers.

Buy extras now as on a Friday night at 9p.m. you'll need another drum and you can thank me later

Cactus Man

Comment

I just bought one of these off of craigs list. I can't get the belt to track straight. No matter how I adjust it the belt rides up and off of the track.

What am I doing wrong? Any ideas on how to fix it?

Thanks.

Comment

Did you get the manual with it? If not I would suggest you download a copy from the RIDGID website and start there. There are a number of people who have this sander on here and should be able to help, unfortunately I am not one of them. I like this tool, I just wish it was a tad bigger, maybe sized to use a 6x32 or 6x48 belt. Then you would have about 20 inches of usable belt which would be a great size for the average home wood shop, and the belts would be interchangeable with my belt/disc sander.
              ---------------
              Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
              ---------------
              “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
              ---------
              "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
              ---------
              sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by coho10 View Post
                I just bought one of these off of craigs list. I can't get the belt to track straight. No matter how I adjust it the belt rides up and off of the track.

What am I doing wrong? Any ideas on how to fix it?

Thanks.
                Link to the manual for the sander:
                http://www.ridgid.com/ASSETS/8DD3EC1...24_482_Man.pdf
                On page 14 you'll find the instructions for installing the sanding belt. It's pretty critical that the fan piece is seated properly before you put the belt assembly on. Also, check the wear plate. If there's any dust down in the hole where the sander assembly slots, make sure that is cleaned up. Mine gets choked with dust and I have to clean it out. That'll cause the belt to ride funny. Basically, make sure the mounting area is a clean as you can get it. Then carefully install the belt assembly and tighten it down. After that, it can take some time to get the belt to track reliably. Then once you put your workpiece against it, you have to do some finer adjustments. After that's done it'll usually work pretty well. I've had mine for years and it's seen a LOT of use. It's a great tool!!
                I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

Thanks for the tips. I noticed that the smaller of the two rollers was missing a spring to hold the position. Once I replaced that spring, it adjusts easily and keeps the belt in the right position. I'm sure the cleaning helped, too.

Thanks, again.

Comment

Re: Ridgid Oscillating Drum and Belt Sander

Can anyone tell me the diference between models 14663 and EB 4424 other than the $50.00 purchase price? re_swanson@yahoo.com

Comment

Working...
                    X