9" Bench Band Saw

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 9" Bench Band Saw

Looking to get a 9" Bench Band Saw, or something similar. What would you all recommend? I am new to woodworking, but loving it...

Re: 9" Bench Band Saw

I've got a 10" Craftsman model #21400 as my secondary bandsaw. I bought this barely used for about $125, IIRC. I've had it for about 1.5 years, and it gets a lot more use than my heavily-upgraded Ridgid BS with riser block, which I keep in the garage and mostly reserve for resawing nowadays.

I use the 10" for cutting turning blanks, making templates and cutting out templated parts (usually 3/4" material). It handle's 1.5" thick cedar with no issues. Dust collection on it is reasonable. By itself it is not a noisy machine, but once you start cutting you get the screech, as with most machines.

Just a caveat though: don't expect to be able to cruise through resawing 4" hardwood with this bandsaw, unless you have infinite patience. It ploughs through cedar, pine, and other 3/4" material just fine. I have cross-cut 2" hard maple and it took some patience.

The Craftsman is about $199 now, though I'm sure some searching might reveal some coupon codes or discounts.
    http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...ears_productpg

FYI, this is basically identical to the Rikon 10", sold via Woodcraft for $279:
    http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/208...el-10-305.aspx

The main point here is that Woodcraft sells a base stand for the Rikon which fits the Craftsman. They sold it as cheap as $39.99 in the past 6 months.

Whichever way you go, plan to buy a high quality blade and throw away the stock blade. You can get 70 1/2" Olson All Pro blades for these bandsaws via this site for about $19:
    http://www.allbandsawblades.com/allPro_Blades.htm
    I include this link because not many other retailers carry quality blades in this size. I use the 3/8" 4-skip tooth.

Comment

Depends on your needs. With only a less than 4" resaw capacity, the 9" saw
      sounds a little small. I have a 12" Craftsman with a 7" resaw capacity and
      while it is adequate, I wish I had sprung for a 14" model. Some things I think
      are essential are quick release tensioner, adjustable fence to allow for blade
      drift, and a good resaw blade.

Comment

As mentioned by the previous posts, a 9-inch bandsaw has it's limits, but that said, I have a Ryobi BS902 that I have had very good luck. (I believe the newer model is the BS903.)

The Craftsman 9" is basically all steel with a cast iron base and table. It's received a lot of very good comments for it's build quality.

My Ryobi is significantly cheaper ($99, the last time I looked), but has a strong motor and several nice features, like a view window so you can check the blade tracking without opening the cover. Also has a quick-release to remove tension from the blade when not in use, and I think the newer model has roller-bearing guides.

My "little" band saw does a great job for me, it's ideal for "learning", if this is your first bandsaw. It tracks well, is easily adjustable and is absolutely vibration free (passes the "nickel" test). Of all the "cutting" tools that I have used, the bandsaw is definitely the safest and I've used it for trimming molding that I want to fit my old uneven walls exactly! So, it easily handle 2-inch stock and I've cut as much as 3-1/2" pine stock with it. (Something I think most any 9" bandsaw should do.)

If you are only looking for an inexpensive, but good bandsaw for it's utility and perhaps to learn with, I'd recommend the Ryobi. If you're looking at getting the best, at that size, I think you can't go wrong with the Craftsman.

CWS

Comment

I have the same saw and use the same blades as the Junkie.

Big G

Comment

Thanks all,
            Anyone have any experience with the Skill 9"? My Home Depot has the Ryobi-$119, and Lowe's has the Skil-$119. I went to the Craftsmen Site and elsewhere and the Craftsmen gets 2 of 5 Stars in reviews, Sells for $129...

Comment

Interesting.... I seem to recall the price on the Craftsman as being closer to $200. Obviously I am remembering wrong!

I am surprised though, that it only got two stars. Of course I've never used one, but on close examination at the store it seemed to be built of more durable materials than my Ryobi BS902... and while I wouldn't give my Ryobi a five-star rating it certainly deserves at at least a 3-1/2 or 4.

Personally, I'm not crazy about Skil... most seem to cheaply made, IMO. But then I haven't looked at that brand at all in the past few years, so maybe something has changed.

My Ryobi has an aluminum frame, well-balanced aluminum wheels, and the trunnion and table are also aluminum. The cover is plastic. Features on mine include the forementioned tracking window and the blade tension release. Also included is a worklamp.

I've had my BS902 for just about five years now. It has performed very well and I find myself using it more than I had imagined. From my point of view is is the only way to cut small trim items. It's just handy to have around and it's very thin kerf makes for some vrry nice and quikc work when you only want ot "trim a hair" off a piece of stock.

Eventually I'll get a 14- or 18-inch bandsaw, but for now the little 9-inch Ryobi has worked very well for me.

I should menton that you have a 2-year warranty and a 30-day Satisfaction Guarantee.

CWS

Comment

Thanks CW, I appreciate the input!

Comment

I just bought the Craftsman 10" benchtop BS and am happy so far (after assembly and test cuts only). I believe the above reviews with 2/5 stars are for the Craftsman 9" which is around $120. The 10" usually does better in the reviews I have read.

Comment

Most of the 9" saws are very similar...lightweight, ribbed aluminum tables, and plastic doors. Regardless of the ratings of each, they're fairly similar, and the end results are typically determined by setup and blade selection. The lack of weight on these tools causes more vibration than you get with bigger saws, and contributes to their limitations.

I managed with a Ryobi BS901 for a few years...it did the job and was able to make most cuts, but I replaced it with a 12" Craftsman 22400 that's much heavier with a cast iron table, fence, and is much more capable... very similar to the Rikon. The 21400 is a 10" version of the same saw, and it's also much heavier than the majority of plastic/aluminum 9" saws. I'd suggest skipping the ultralights if possible, and holding out for at least a 10" Craftsman 21400 or Rikon equivalent. Better yet, hold out for a decent 14" saw, whether Delta, Jet, Ridgid, Grizzly, etc....you'll get a more substantial tool with better bones from the start.

Comment

Working...
                    X