No announcement yet.

A little advice

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A little advice

I just took the plunge and bought the Ridgid Bandsaw last week at HD. I thought about this long and hard. I made my decision based on the review in Wood. I was very impressed with the quality and ease of set up.

I am getting ready to buy a planer and Jointer. I am a new weekend woodworker and would really like to buy the Ridgid models, but after reading some of the posts here about support and limited availability of the product (only through HD), I'm a little concerned. I don't want to get stuck with products I can't get parts for or that will breakdown quickly. I have to say that after reading other forums on Delta, they also have many complaints about quality.

So, I would be interested in hearing what others think about Ridgid. Are they going to be around for awhile?

Cody, I am also weekender. With the exception of constructing my garage/workshop/"doghouse", My tools will probably not be pushed to their limits. Based on what I've learned first hand about my Ridgid machines, I don't think I'll ever be able to "ware-out" any of the stationary machines. Contrarilly, I have had bad luck with a Delta CMS(which I returned), and a DeWalt Recip. Saw(which I had repaired twice under warranty). Porter Cable tools have given me very good service.

You gotta figure, what a small percentage of complaints there are as compared to the thousands of tools actually in use. Ridgid offers a good value for the price.

But, what do I know? I'm only a weekend woodworker.
    keep makn\' sawdust!...just don\'t breath any.

Cody, I am also a weekender, and I purchased the entire line of Ridgid tools. The warranty was a big factor for me. I'd have to say that when I work on projects, I push the machines pretty hard, I've planed hundreds of old cherry boards and such... I've been very very pleased with ALL of the ridgid tools I have. I feel very lucky to have them, I often walk out in my shop and just look around at my tools feeling lucky and appreciative. These machines work hard, and I'm sure that any brand you purchase will also, i.e. Jet, Grizzly, Delta, ect... Just give the tools some love every now and then and they'll continue to work hard for you. Wax/polish the cast iron, clean sawdust out of moving parts often, and generally look them over and align things often as well.
      The lifetime warranty is a good insurance policy, and although I understand that customer service is also very important, even having sub-par service is the same as buying another brand without a warranty at all. I believe it's worth it, especially with the low prices to be had right now.

One last note... This forum is one of the best things we Ridgid owners have going for us! If there is a problem finding a part, like jointer knives, someone in here always knows a compatible part or work-around. We are kind-of like each other's warranty! Kind of.

Hi Cody,

I am also a weekend (ok 1/2 weekend ) woodworker. I recently got the 3612 and I think it is the best value for $$ out there.

Ridgid may not make the best out there but it is as much as any weekend woodworker needs!

Also, my experience with their support has been excellent. I called them twice as my saw was missing some parts and they sent it to me without much fuss. I have worked in support in teh past - it is a tough job! It is the complainers you hear the most from! Also, as the previous poster said, this forum is one of the best, I learnt a lot from here just in the past few weeks.

Thanks guys for the advice. I agree that these tools will likely be all that I will need. It helps to be reassured that I am making the right choice.

I think I will head over to HD this weekend and pickup the Ridgid jointer and planer!

Thanks again!