Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Air stapler and finish nailers

Hello all,
    I am looking to buy an air stapler and a finish nailer for my wife’s crafts projects. I need to staple a max of 1-1/4" and finish nail a max of 2" or so. If you have used any of these items I would appreciate some feedback on pro's and con's of models etc. I would like to be under $150.00 ea. My use will be minimal. Thanks in advance for any advice...
    Regards,<br /><br />Big Johnson<br /><br />Pictures: <a href=\"http://www.woodworkersweb.com/modules.php?set_albumName=albuv85&op=modload&name= gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.woodworkersweb.com/modules.php?set_albumName=albuv85&op=modload&name= gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php</a>

Big J

You should be able to get what you want for under $150 each. I have a Porter Cable NS150A Narrow Crown Stapler shoots staples from 1/2" to 1 1/2". Paid around $90.00 for a reconditioned one. Also have a Bostitch Brad Nailer that shoots a 2" brad. Price is between $90 to $100 at Lowes or Home Depot.

You may want to check in your area for a Porter Cable service center. The one I shop at in Houston always have a good selection of reconditioned nailers and staplers and they come with a one year warranty.

Also you can check out the Home Depot Store on E-Bay. www.ebaystores.com/homedepotoutlet

Good Luck....Scott

Comment

I agree on Porter Cable. The narrow crown stapler should fill the bill on that end. As for the brad nailer, be advised that HD carries it at a price of between $120 and $140, versus prices hovering around $100 for other sources, but HD will price match.

Note that this is a brad nailer, not a "finish" nailer. Air driven brads are 18 gauge headless nails (the same shank diameter as the staples). For a true finish nailer, which shoots 15 ga. or 16 ga. nails, you will pay more. Still recommend the PC.

Comment

Very simple...2 words...PORTER CABLE! I use all their air fasteners and I have been very pleased and they have never let me down. To recommend an alternate brand would have to be Senco. I don't have any real experience on the Senco brand but everyone I've talked to loves them (at least as much as I love PC). They are more expensive than PC though.

An IMPORTANT note! Do not buy a "combination nailer" that shoots both brads and staples! You'll hate it. These guns use the same striker for both the brad and the staple and as a result you get staple marks in your workpiece when shooting brads. We use brads to leave as little a mark as possible and these combo guns aren't up to snuff in my opinion. Spend the bucks on separate guns, you'll be glad you did. [img]smile.gif[/img]
        - Tim

Comment

Thanks for the great input guy's... I have been on Porter Cables website checking out the different models. I think I will get the dedicated stapler and finish nailer. I may get a brad nailer down the road if I feel it necessary, but to get started this should work. I have requested a brochure from Porter Cable, which should be here in a week or so. Thanks again for all the good advice. I am excited to get started... [img]smile.gif[/img]
          Regards,<br /><br />Big Johnson<br /><br />Pictures: <a href=\"http://www.woodworkersweb.com/modules.php?set_albumName=albuv85&op=modload&name= gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.woodworkersweb.com/modules.php?set_albumName=albuv85&op=modload&name= gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php</a>

Comment

If you're not familiar with nail guages I would recommend that you go to you local home center and check out the various sizes. The Porter Cable fasteners are in clear boxes so you can see if a finish nailer or brad nailer would be right for your applications. Good Luck!
            - Tim

Comment

P-C has two very different finish nailers. One, which has been around longer, has a straight magazine and shoots 16 ga. nails (thinner in shank diameter -- remember that in the air nailer world, all the nails will have the same diameter, unlike the old fashion world where nails were named after pennies). The other has an angled magazine and shoots 15 ga. nails. Some reviews of the latter were less than flattering, though I've never had any problems.

For most operations in which you want to shoot finish nails, I'd prefer the 15 ga size, as they are much closer to the nails we used to use. Also, the angled magazine makes it much easier to get into tight places, like ceiling moldings or the apron molding that goes under a window stool. In fact, 2-1/2 15 ga. air-shot finish nails will hold 2x4s together, though that is not code compliant for inspected construction.

Comment

Working...
              X