X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cutting a BS-1401 table insert

I have purchased the universal throat plate (table insert) from Rockler. As in the descriptive "universal" some mods need to be made for the needs of your particular saw. So, how do I do this? What is the proceedure for cutting the slot for the blade? I have butchered one of these plates attempting to make the slot and nearly cut myself in the bargain. I suppose that I should have bought the plate designed for the saw but, the cost of these with s/h were so much greater than these six and I figured that I could cut these . BTW, I realize that I could use the original plate as a template but it was broken beyond recognition. Be gentle, folks!
    Later,
    Chiz

Re: Cutting a BS-1401 table insert

Do you have a fence for your saw? If so then what I would do is, with the saw powered off, place the blank insert so that it is centered on the blade. Move the fence over so that it butts up against the insert. Power the saw up and very carefully using the fence as a guide move the insert into the blade until you have cut approx. halfway through the insert. To make process a little safer you could make a small push stick which now that I think about is what you really should do.
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

All I can find on the Rockler sight is the zero clearance plate, http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?p...table%20insert

I have always just raised the blade up through the insert, after forming it to the opening on the saw,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1eZ9QaOeUxM
      Last edited by BHD; 07-01-2010, 11:50 PM.
      Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
      attributed to Samuel Johnson
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

ironhat, this AM I was looking at the latest copy of Shop Notes. On page 5 there was a picture and short description of a jig that you would use to cut the slot in the insert for a bandsaw. As is often the case, the picture does a better job of describing this jig than the description of it does. This jig would be very easy to build and is much safer to use than the other method I suggested you try. Take a look the next time you're walking by a news stand or bookstore.
        Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

sorry I did not catch that this was on a band saw,

I would think if you did not have a current throat plate, you could just take a piece of thin scrap of ply and use it to bridge the hole to support the part you needed to cut, and saw throught both at one time,
          Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
          attributed to Samuel Johnson
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Working...
          X