X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Router Advice Needed

I've had a couple (still have) Ryobi routers purchased on the cheap from HD. They are still holding up well after 5+yrs of med-hard service. JMO. BTW, make sure you get 1/2" collet.

Comment

I decided on the Delta Combo Kit, DW618B3. It has VS 2.25 HP motor and has 3 bases: plunge, fixed, and D-handle.

I put the fixed base in my router table (where it has lived for a few years now), and use the plunge base for various operations. I use the D-handle for edge routing. The kit also came with a slew of accessories (edge guide with DC, centering pin, 1/2 and 1/4 collet, extra base plates, etc).

I have been very impressed with this kit. It has handled everything I could thow at it.

I also have a Ryobi laminate trimmer, which I received as a thank you for helping a friend with some woodworking. I find it useful, but limited to light operations like laminate trimming and light edge profiling.

Hope this helps!

Comment

I think that there are three essential machines in your shop. They are a table saw, a router and a drill press. They have different functions so it's hard to say which is most important. The point being that the money you spend on getting a good router is well spent. If your budget won't allow a first tier model look for a reconditioned one or haunt the garage sales and Craig's List. The features mentioned earlier define what I would call the minimum criteria. But another is how comfortable the router feels in your hands. Where is the offswitch, how easy is it to change bits, how easy is it to set the depth, etc. The only way to find out is to lay your hands on several and see what you think and then go try to hunt one down that fits your budget.

Good luck and have fun.

Blind Bill

Comment

Working...
        X