Router Advice Needed

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Router Advice Needed

Newbie woodworker and am looking for my first router. Will not be used too much to start, so I do not want to break the bank. Want inexpensive with halfway decent performance. Saw this:
    http://www.ridgerocktools.com/Prodde...ItemName=10360

any experience with these and/or any other ideas?
    Thanks a lot,
    Steve

Re: Router Advice Needed

I have 4 or 5 routers (gave one away to my SIL), it was a Sears, (heavy clunky and bulky and not fun to use),
    I have a porter cable trim router, and a Dewalt, a Black and Decker Industrial, very similar to the Dewalt, and a Porter Cable with two bases, plunge and standard,

the one I use the most is the trim router, it is light and easy to handle and to use on most any project, (it only has the 1/4 collet), but I think If I had to chose one router I would chose the trim router over the others, no one can not plow big bits in to heavy wood, but most of the time I find I am just rounding over an edge or making a light cut, and it is amazing the power the units has,

If you have a friend that has a router, try it out on some scrap wood and see what you like and what you do not like, if you can.

If your thinking of a router table you will want a larger unit, than a trim router.

If I was sugest I would buy a good name brand tool I bought the first router the B&D unit, over 30 years ago, and it is still as good as new, and I have built custom cabinerty for a living and and used it many many hrs over the years, (no I am not saying By B&D), but I do not think you will ever be sorry for buying name brand quality unit,
    Last edited by BHD; 07-05-2010, 12:38 AM.
    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
    attributed to Samuel Johnson
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

+1 on BHD's advice. For a first router, you can't go wrong with one of the multi-base ones. For not a whole lot of money you'll have a router setup that will work for every job you run across. Ridgid, Freud, Porter Cable, Makita, Bosch and a few others all have excellent examples of these. Stay away from the no-name brands and the consumer brands(B&D, SKIL, HF, Ryobi, ETC) and you won't be looking to buy another router for years to come. Of course, that's JMHO and YMMV.
      ================================================== ====
      All of us could take a lesson from the weather. It pays no attention to criticism.

Comment

Steve - Don't buy no name junk routers. There are too many excellent choices from the brands that Dave mentioned...add Milwaukee (TTI's top line), Triton, DeWalt, and Hitachi to that list, then pick something that feels good to you. Even the newer line of Craftsman routers are getting good marks for value. Keep your eyes peeled for a closeout, sale, or reconditioned deal. Get one that accepts 1/2" shanks...accommodations for 1/4" is also handy, but go with 1/2" whenever possible.

Keep in mind that routers for table use should have variable speed...less important for hand use.

Comment

I have a 2 base Craftsman router that I bought a couple of years ago for around $100. I use it a lot because it is lightweight, has both collets, a work light (very handy), long cord and a reasonable amount of power for a hand held. I have a big Milwaukee router in my table for heavy duty jobs, but the Craftsman is my goto to for hand held routing. Good luck, Mike

Comment

Thanks everyone... how about this Palm Router from Bosch? I think for now this should suit my needs.
            http://www.cpotools.com/factory-reco...h-palm-routers

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by BadgerDave View Post
              +1 on BHD's advice. For a first router, you can't go wrong with one of the multi-base ones. For not a whole lot of money you'll have a router setup that will work for every job you run across. Ridgid, Freud, Porter Cable, Makita, Bosch and a few others all have excellent examples of these. Stay away from the no-name brands and the consumer brands(B&D, SKIL, HF, Ryobi, ETC) and you won't be looking to buy another router for years to come. Of course, that's JMHO and YMMV.
              What do you mean by multi base?
              Also, how does a plunge router differ from a standard router?
              Like I said, newbie here ;-)

Comment

Multi-base routers are routers that come with more than one base. Some are sold with a plunge base, and a fixed base, and I've even seen some sold with a 3rd base, a D-handle base. Each have their use.. D-handle gives more control when doing an edge profile free-hand, fixed base is good for table use, and plunge is a good all-around base. Leave the fixed base in the table, just pop the motor out and put it in another base.

I saw Craftsman mentioned here.. the new Craftsman models are nothing like the older ones. I know several people that have purchased them and are very satisfied. I have several older Craftsman models, and have no complaints. I have them set up with different bits and they work fine. My goto router for most things is a Porter Cable 690.

And, if you want more info on routers and their use, feel free to stop in at http://www.routerforums.com/ and ask away.
                Brian

Comment

WIll do, thanks for the link.
                  Steve

Comment

I wouldn't profess to know enough to give advice, but, I'll tell you my story.

I had a simple little project I wanted to build and I wanted to put nice round edges on it and cut a dado (didn't know it was a dado at the time) to join a few pieces today with more rigidity. I'm an engineer so I knew what I wanted, but, how to get there with wood was a little different, especially the terminology. I didn't know you would make accurate cuts without a Bridgeport.

Anyway, I'm cheap, so a bought a harbor freight trim router to get the job done, and it worked. Got what I needed. Wasn't the easiest, not the best, but, it told me enough that I knew that it was something I liked. $25 experiment so to speak. Within a week I ordered a combo kit Bosch on-line and started building a router table.

So, it depends are where you're at. Sounds like you've never used a router. It might be worth $25 to see whether it's worth spending more. If you want a nice router with the ease of use features and sturdy construction you'll probably spend at least $175, probably over $200.

Comment

My only advice would be to get one that accepts 1/4" and 1/2" shank router bits. This way you can do just about anything you want or need to do with no problem. I would stick to name brand also and read reviews for any router you are leaning towards.

Red
                      Red

Comment

I would want a router that accepts bushings, they can increase your capabilities greatly,

http://www.newwoodworker.com/guidebush.html
                        http://www.amazon.com/Piece-Brass-Ro.../dp/B0032YT9ZI

a trim router was created to trim counter tops, a light and smaller unit to get up to the corners, so one would have less filling and hand work, in trimming up the laminate, and most will only accept 1/4". shank bits.

but I find it good for most projects, my porter cable trim router 7310 I think, accepts bushings,
                        (if one ever gets a dovetail machine there used, to make a dado, one can make a template and use a bushing and cut a very nice and if you want to make multiple shapes the same one can make a template and then rough cut the item and trim it up with the router,

the bosh tool looks good, I do not really see the need for the variable speed, but most of my stuff is 15 or more years old,

here is a company that deals mostly in reconditioned tools, and new,
                        http://www.toolking.com/power-tools/routers most of the time there good to deal with, I have only had one poor experience with them, and some how they screwed up an order, but I have bought from them other times and it was a very good transaction,
                        Last edited by BHD; 07-06-2010, 10:02 AM.
                        Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                        "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                        attributed to Samuel Johnson
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                        PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

With its improvements, the Ridgid trim router has some nice features too, including it compatibility with P-C type guide bushings. It's $99.

CWS

Comment

Originally posted by cactus View Post
                            My only advice would be to get one that accepts 1/4" and 1/2" shank router bits. This way you can do just about anything you want or need to do with no problem. I would stick to name brand also and read reviews for any router you are leaning towards.

Red
                            Is that the collet capacity or chuck size?
                            I am lookng at this:
                            http://www.craftsman.com/shc/s/p_101...2_00917543000P

Comment

What cactus was referring to was collet capacity. That Craftsman kit comes with both a ¼" and ½" collet so you would have all the ability to use just about any router bit out there.
                              ================================================== ====
                              All of us could take a lesson from the weather. It pays no attention to criticism.

Comment

Working...
                              X