X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• motor mounting bolts on TS2424

I recently acquired a used TS2424 table saw. When I moved the saw to my house, I unbolted the motor from the motor mount not knowing I could just loosen the pin bolts. The bolts that hold the motor to the motor support assembly are about 1.5 inches long and have several nuts and washers - I did not keep track of how the 6 nuts and long bolts were used to hold the motor to the motor mount. The manual does not show anything about these long bolts. Are these long bolts original or should they just standard short bolts that hold the motor to the motor support assembly? If the long bolts are supposed to hold the motor away from the motor support how are they arranged?

thanks for your help,
    Ruth

Re: motor mounting bolts on TS2424

i have a 2412 and the motor mounting is the same on both saws. here is a few pic of the 2412 motor mount. this is an overhead shot with the drive belt on the right when viewed from htis perspective. the motor is bolted to the motor mounting plate with 4 ~1.5" bolts and 4 nuts. the motor mounting plate is the light colored plate that has an arched slot in it to facilitate the motor moving as the blade is elevated or retracted. the motor mounting plate is the plate the spring is touching in the pic, not to be confused with the mounting plate that holds the 2 mounting pins. it shouldn't be too hard to reassemble. if you would like, you could send me a pic of the parts you have and i'll see if i can help you assemble them correctly.
    Attached Files
    there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

Thanks so much for your help. I did not take the motor support assembly apart, only removed the motor from the back plate of the motor assembly. There seems to be a collection of nuts and long bolts for that attachment. These may have been added by the previous owner for unknown reasons... the attached picture shows my best guess at using all these parts.
      Attached Files

Comment

The previous owner may have had some sort of pulley alignment issue(real or imagined) and those longer bolts were his/her way of solving it. The basic design of the saw however would not require this type of modification. I suggest that you go purchase some 1½" long carriage bolts and mount the motor the way it shows in the Owners Manual and the picture provided by FINER9998. It's always a good idea to start from scratch and reassemble, according to the instructions in the Owners Manual, any used tool purchase.
        Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

In keeping with Dave's comments I wonder if the previous owner had a belt issue and replaced it with a slightly longer belt acquired locally. Did the TS2424 use a V-belt or the multi-rib belt like the 3650/3660?
          ---------------
          Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
          ---------------
          “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
          ---------
          "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
          ---------
          sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Welcome to the forum Ruth,

I have a TS2424 and have attached a picture from basically the same perspective of yours. The motor is attached with 4 - 5/16" x 3/4" (long) carriage bolts with nut and locking washer. You might not want to walk into your local Home Depot and get these out of the bolt bins - they tend to be soft bolts. Find some place that sells graded bolts.

Also, Your picture did not show the belt guard - not a bad thing to have on the saw.

Bob - it was sold with a multi-rib belt. Not exactly sure why the original owner modified it, but it certainly seems like he/she was trying to push it away from the blade.
            Attached Files

Comment

cjh20, thanks for clarifying the length of those bolts. I just quickly eyeballed the motor on my saw and guessed at the length. You know how us guys tend to exaggerate when it comes to length.
              Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Thanks for all the help. I will check around for the graded bolts. Yes, it is a ribbed belt rather then a v-belt. From other posts on this site, there seems to be a belief that the ribbed belt is superior to the "upgraded" link belt machined pulley add-on.

I did not get the belt cover with the saw, maybe it was removed for whatever reason the long bolts were added. I will need to check if I have the correct belt length. The belt looks unworn - it is a Bando Rib-Ace 417J - which appears correct in the other posts.

thanks again - I look forward to making sawdust soon, but alas, alignment checking comes first.

Comment

great to hear you plan on checking the saw's set-up before creatign a sawdust storm. once you get the fence and the blade parallel to the miter slots, there's not much that saw can't handle. and it has a rudimentary form of PALS (aftermarket precision alignment system) that should make lining the blade up with the miter slots much easier than the lowly 2412 that i have. one small comment....get a dial gauge. makes aligning the blade to miter slot and fence to miter slot (and thereby aligning fence to the blade) much easier. nothing fancy...a $10-20 harbor freight unt will do the trick.
                  there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

Working...
                  X