converting ridgid jointer to 220 problem

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• converting ridgid jointer to 220 problem

I am trying to convert my new ridgid jointer to 220 from the pre-wired 110v. I have an established 220v 20a dedicated circuit modeled after a window AC circuit. It works fine for my table saw, but when I plug the jointer into the outlet, turn it on it trips the breaker immediately. I followed the wiring diagram for the motor. I upgraded all the power supply to SO cable 12-2 (white/black/green) (white tagged hot) the plug is a 20a/250v. What's going on??? The factory switch is labeled for 250v as well. Factory directions for converting to 220 had me attach the grounds to the ground post on the machine and that popped the circuit, then I thought to just wire nut the grounds together and still it tripped the circuit. Any suggestions? Thank you.

Re: converting ridgid jointer to 220 problem

My first thought is that in the panel, you have your white neutrals grounded, and the black live conductors are referenced to that. Perhaps, elsewhere on the circuit, the live and neutral are reversed, so when you put the jointer in circuit (which will no longer use a neutral when 220 wired), you are shorting live to ground?

Comment

Re: converting Ridgid jointer to 220 problem

I would double check your switch wiring, (been there done it), and it will snap the breaker,
      Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
      attributed to Samuel Johnson
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Thanks for the help. Yes it was the switch wiring. After taking a break from the frustration, with a clear head I found my wiring error on the switch and runs fine now. Just wish the owners manual, or switch would have had a wiring diagram associated with it for the 220 feed. Tech help was at a loss, and referred me to the local authorized repair shop. He recommended bypassing the switch to isolate and that did narrow it down to the switch wiring. Thank you again.

Comment

I do find that a bit odd. I changed my jointer to 220 also and did not have to do anything in the switch. Just the motor junction box, and change the plug. None of my RIDGID tools that I have converted (2x TS, BS, Jointer) needed anything done in the switch.

Comment

OK, after converting what difference in the jointer did you notice in regards to performance? Just curious if this is something I would want to do to my Ridgid jointer.

Comment

I couldn't say if there was any difference in the jointer (or bandsaw for that matter), I wired it 220 out of the box. I can certainly say my table saws appear to be more powerful though. I'm sure this will be the usual suspects of being alone on the circuit, and being able to tolerate a higher surge current.

Comment

Working...
              X