X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what wood

One of the projects that loml came up with is a new table for our deck. I found the table I want to make. I am copying from Crate and Barrel, with a few modifications. I was wondering what would be the best wood to use teak, cyprus, or redwood. If you could think of something better, please let me know. Was also thinking of a good strong finish for the table. I live in the New England area,(YEAH PATS) and do not want to bring it in doors in the winter.

Thanks in advance.

Jim

Actually pressure treated wood looks very close to cedar with the right stain and will last forever, I built a picnic table 14 years ago with PT legs and the rest out of pine, the legs are still perfect and it sits on the ground winter and summer, the top however needed to be replaced because someone left a tablecloth on it for a whole season ( summer and winter ) and in the spring the top had bad dry rot

Comment

I agree with WBrooks. I have made several outdoor items with appearance grade pressure treated lumber and finished them with Olympic Outdoor redwood stain and sealer. The finished product looks like redwood and doesn't fade or gray out. I strongly advise against teak. It's an oily wood that doesn't take finishes well and discolors badly, especially in salty air.

Comment

I would use cyprus for the table.
        Andy B.

Comment

Go with the Cyprus and use a UV blocking oil based poly to seal it.
          info for all: http://www.hoistman.com http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/index....wwtoolinfoforu --- "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me."

Comment

One thing you might want to cosider is what the deck is made of and if you would like a match or a contrast. I to would stay away from Teak.
            I came...<br /><br />I saw...<br /><br />I changed the plans.

Comment

If this is something you plan on having your sking come in contact with or will be putting food on, I would stay away from pressure treated wood. It has arsenic in it and vairous other chemicals that you don't really want to know about.

Have you looked into Ipe'? It is strong, attractive, realatively inexpensive, and will not rot.

Cypress is ok, but if it is not "old growth" or "sinker" then it will rot in the elements.

Comment

One thing you may want to think about when considering pressure treated is that it is (I have been told) treated with arsenic. For a deck, this is probably ok, but a picnic table is going to be touched regularly by bare hands, including your children (assuming you have any).
                I don't know if a stain will seal the poison in or not.

Comment

Sorry desmo888. Your post wasn't posted when I started on mine.

Comment

Great minds... Or something.

Comment

Actually pressure treated wood used to be made with copper chromic arsenate (CCA), but most stores should have switched over to the replacement that is less toxic. I am not sure when it has to be all new, but I think it is soon
                      Some people\'s lack of a sense of humor ruins life for the rest of us.

Comment

Thedeckguy,

Do you drink out of glass that has "less" lead in it or eat fish from water that has "less" mercury in it?

Poison is poison and I understand your point is meant in good faith, but there are alternatives to pressure treated wood that have no poison in them at all. I don't belive that cost per board foot is a legitamate factor in personal health.

Why even take the risk?

Comment

I am not sure I should ressurect this topic, but I have heard that the actual health risks for pressure treated lumber are minimal. While this may be true, I have gotten some nasty splinters from pressure treated that have worse-than-normal pain assosciated with them. So I think there are cases where the poison can have an adverse effect on the body.

Comment

i personally lean toward cedar for outdoor applications. i love the look and the smell!

i made an outdoor table out of redwood when i lived in california, as it was more available and less money than cedar in the area and i was not pleased with how well it held up. part of the problem was the poor finish, but even taking that into consideration, the wood did not hold up as well as i had hoped!
                            \"A SHIP OF WAR IS THE BEST AMBASSADOR\"<br /><br />OLIVER CROMWELL

Comment

Working...
                            X