Better Marketing

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Better Marketing

I just read a review on RIDGIDs bandsaw in the current issue of Wood magazine. It rated it best for the money. I also borrowed my neighbor's TP1300 planer and was very impressed.
    RIDGID has a good line of woodworking tools and I can't figure out why it does not offer its products in other stores and online. Has RIDGID tried to sell on Amazon.com?
    Tony

iam sure it has to do with contract! ridgid woodworking tools are made exclusively for home depot. although they also make tools with different names. you will note almost identical saw construction between the ridgid contractor saw and the craftsman. one thing to keep in mind is that even though ridgid makes it, it may not be as good as the ridgid because it is made to "craftsman" standards. which could simply mean a different motor, fence, etc. one thing you will notice is that the craftsman doesnt carry the lifetime ridgid warranty!
    \"A SHIP OF WAR IS THE BEST AMBASSADOR\"<br /><br />OLIVER CROMWELL

Comment

I asked the senior tool manager at Sears and he swears that the Craftsman lookalike is made by Delta. This makes a little sense in that they do make all their CMS's. It does look like the Ridgid almost to a T, but I wouldn't have it wihtout the warranty. I was asking since I wanted to know if Emerson had slipped back into Sears since they'd had so many problems since Emerson left. I think they styled the saw after the Ridgid to get more sales. The fence resembles the 3612 fence a lot.
      Kelly C. Hanna<br /><a href=\"http://www.hannawoodworks.com\" target=\"_blank\">Hanna Woodworks</a>

Comment

Delta does not at this time make any tools for Craftsman. I have this from a friend who is a Senior Engineer at Delta, he has no reason to lie to me.

Craftsman stationary tablesaws are currently built by Ryobi.

Dave

Comment

There's certainly no question that HD's merchandising of Rigid tools has changed. When they first started, Rigid had it's own full display section--now they're stuck in small corners of the tool coral.

I'm sure Rigid would like to get out of the contract with HD. At least, when they sold their products through Sears, Sears never seemed to spare any effort at proper displays and accessories.

As to accessories, I don't think HD realizes the value of add-on purchases/accessories for Rigid tools---only thing they've got is order catalogs of the accessories---people want them when they purchase the tool---not have to place an order and come back later.

Local HDs had the new flip-top support table. Sold the initial shippment--I went back for another---gone and no one thought to re-order.
          Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Arbuckle:
            Delta does not at this time make any tools for Craftsman. I have this from a friend who is a Senior Engineer at Delta, he has no reason to lie to me.

Craftsman stationary tablesaws are currently built by Ryobi.

Dave
            Wow, they sure have copied a couple of the better designs out there....guess you can't go by the look of the tools as to who makes them.

I had entertained ideas about buying the SCMS at Sears, but now that just went outta the window. Not that I hate Ryobi (or whoever makes it), but one of their miter saws is not worth $600 to me when compared to the DW sitting right next to it at the same price.
            Kelly C. Hanna<br /><a href=\"http://www.hannawoodworks.com\" target=\"_blank\">Hanna Woodworks</a>

Comment

guess you can't go by the look of the tools as to who makes them.

When I was younger, there was a fad to take VW Beetles and put a hood on that looked like a Rolls-Royce. Turns out, they still weren't Rolls-Royces...

Sears long-style part numbers indicate the manufacturer. There are a couple lists on the internet that cross-reference these, one is found at: http://www.wwforum.com/faqs_articles/sears_numbers.html

Dave

Comment

I bought a couple of tools there (Sears 18v cordless and a router) this year due to price point during the lean months, but those will be the last. I am in the process of starting a serious upgrade of all the tools in my arsenal excpet for the contractor saw in my shop (2424). Everything else will be replaced within a year or so. After the 2400 gets here, the next one up is the router and table (to replace the Ryobi 1.5hp and the generic HD table). Will be either going with the Hitachi M12V or a PC dual base...not sure which router table yet.

To get back to the subject, I like the fact that Ridgid is in the HD's for convenience, but also wish we could get them at places that had a better system of displying them. Maybe when their contract runs out they could get one with Lowe's....they have much better stores because they keep the floors free of junk and cleaner. They also have bigger aisles in most cases.

Comment

Working...
                X