X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dust Collector

I thought I'd share my DC hookup pics with everyone. My shop is the second floor of my garage. I didn't like the idea of DC hoses and lines overhead and I had room underneath.
    Attached Files

Re: Dust Collector

Here's how I closed in my TS3660 for DC. I separated the saw from the legs and slipped a 1/4" piece of plywood between. Then I cut a square out of it and mounted a DC hood like this http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?p...88478&pn=88478 Then I closed in the back around the motor with 1/4" ply as good as I could. I found the limits of the travel and closed around it. It really works great.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by budedm; 07-16-2010, 08:10 AM.

Comment

Well done!

Red
      Red

Comment

Good deal, not too shabby at all!

What model is the DC? It looks like a HF, but has a rigid fan>filter pipe. One of the Grizzlies? The reason I ask is I notice the 6" main pipe, then what seem fairly long lengths of 4". How is the performance?

Comment

The DC is a Grizzly G0548. The performance is tremendous. You are right. I have a 6" up to the ceiling and then I have a few 4" branches. But the longest 4" run under the floor (or on the ceiling depending on how you look at it) is 15'. But then it's only another 2' - 3' to any machine. So, I think the performance is way better than if I had installed overhead lines. Plus, it's all downhill to the collector. Very short flex lines help too. And there is only 1 90 degree fitting in the system and that is the 6" one at the mouth of the DC. Most others are 22 1/2 degree with the exception of I think 1 or 2 45's. The fittings in the floor are standard PVC sewer (the thin wall) street ells. The small end of a street ell will accept standard DC fittings. They slip in and stick there. Kind of a wedge fit. I ran accross that little secret when I was looking and searching for cheaper ways to hook up DC stuff. It's fantastic. I just slip it in and it stays. Then pull it out easily when I'm done. I have a remote to turn the DC on & off. Gotta have that with my setup. Another advantage is noise. It's very quiet. Oh, and when I sweep the floor, I sweep it right into the hole. I have to be careful of dropping bad stuff in there when it's open though. I guess that's one disadvantage. However, all the joints are simply taped together. One time when I was changing TS blades, I dropped the arbor nut & washer and it slid right down the flex line. Luckily, it didn't make it to the end of the flex line but I learned a good lesson.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by budedm; 07-16-2010, 11:15 AM.

Comment

What kind of pipe is the white pipe run along the ceiling? I've been looking for thin wall sewer pipe, but can only find the 4" blue/green pipe, like your 6". I have a fitting from Rockler that is supposed to adapt 4" schedule 20 sewer pipe to standard DC, but it doesn't fit the blue/green stuff, which apparently has a slightly thicker wall.

If that's not thin wall sewer pipe, how did you adapt it to fit the 'thin wall street ell' you used in the floor (ingenious, btw..!).

It's driving me nuts trying to find the right pipe and fittings so I can get my danged DC system working...!!!!

Comment

The white 4" is thin wall sewer. I don't know why it's green for you. I got it at Lowes. The 6" was green and the 4" was white at Lowes. All the stuff under the floor is thin wall sewer pipe. So, the street ell just connnects to the pipe and the street ell narrow end is up through and level with the floor under the little lid. The Jet DC connectors snuggly fit into the street ell end.

Comment

Checked Lowes website and found the thin wall sewer pipe. None of the nearby Lowes stores here in NJ seem to have it, but I can get it in Delaware, not too far off.

Returning the 1 10' piece of the green sewer pipe will just about pay for 4 of the white stuff. BIG difference in price.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction, this has been frustrating me for a couple weeks.

Comment

DC stuff was frustrating for me too. Everything seems to say "You can't get there from here".

Comment

How did you close in the back?
                    ---------------
                    Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                    ---------------
                    “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                    ---------
                    "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                    ---------
                    sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Woodchuck1957
                      Well Bob, if you do it right theres no need to fully enclose the back. You need fresh air to feed the dust collector.
                      This is very true. In fact, dust collects in the corners on top of the plywood seperator I have between the saw and the legs. I was thinking of drilling a hole in each corner of the plywood or side of the saw base somehow.

Comment

I like the idea of you making me a dust hood. I didn't know you did that. But, then again, like you said, it's not that big of a deal. Every once in a while I just take the blade off and reach in with a 3" paint brush (without paint on it ), turn the DC on and brush out the corners.

Comment

Originally posted by Woodchuck1957
                          Well Bob, if you do it right theres no need to fully enclose the back. You need fresh air to feed the dust collector. So what I did was cover the bevel slot in the front of the saw with a piece of magnetic sheet and then fill the voids between the saw cabinet and the cast iron top with self adhesive closed cell foam ( weatherstrip ). I also built a device for the backside of the blade that pivots with the trunion to prevent the chips from being thrown out the back. Now all the fresh air needed to feed the DC comes in from the back of the saw, leaveing less chance of the fine dust makeing it's way out. I wanted the back partially open incase I would need to retrieve the arbor nut if droped when changeing a blade, and I need easy access to the belt because I take the motor off at the end of the day in order to scoot the backside of the saw up against the wall in our Garage / Shop that we park our vehicles in.
                          where is the pic? is it just my browser that doesn't show it?
                          there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

It doesn't show up for me either.

Comment

With the help I received here, I've been able to complete my system (though I'm sure I'll expand it). My shop is 12x20x8, so space is at a premium. Once I found the thin wall sewer pipe, and the adapters from Rockler, things went together well.

I used a wall mounted dust collector with the trash can mounted separator to catch the big stuff. I've had several large pieces of something go up the pipe and clang into the trash can, so it does the job well.

Most of my tools are on roll arounds that store under the miter saw tables, so I used the Rockler 'dust right' system so I can easily connect them to the dust hose. The miter saw is permanent so has a dedicated line. I built a 'shroud' around it, held on with velcro so it can be removed to tilt the saw.

The table saw folds which presented a challenge hooking things up. I also closed in the bottom with plywood, then used a Rockler tabletop dust hood which just clears the stand when folded http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?p...t%20collection.

Overall, I'm thrilled with the difference this makes. With the air filtration unit, my shop is a much more pleasant, and hopefully healthier, place to be.

thanks for the help...!!!!
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X