• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 4512 Successor to the 4511 Announced

Did they turn up? havent seen them here in California

Comment

Rob,

I was in my Binghamton, NY-area Home Depot this morning and there was a rather large box right in front of the tool corral... the 4512!

It looked like it had just come in and hadn't been opened yet, but IT's here.

CWS

Comment

So, i just have to travel to NY

Well an update... i went to my non local home depot (my local were not helpful) and i spotted the poster for the 4512. It said to order online. Obviously when they checked it wasn;t online and wasn't on their system. I think the local ridgid rep put the poster out too soon. Anyway, after speaking to about 4 people there, a nice guy on the contract station helped me. they managed to order one for me for $525, no special shipping fee as the last home depot told me. There is no stock in the whole of the north california stores according to their system. However, i should get this within 2 weeks. The interesting thing is, just looked on the home depot website and it is up!!! and selling at $550!!!! very odd. Actually got 10% off mine as well by signing up for their credit card. Saved me 50 bucks. Now just waiting for my table saw!!! Seems a bit of a POS mess if you ask me.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob01 View Post
          So, i just have to travel to NY

Seems a bit of a POS mess if you ask me.

Rob,

Good deal on your ordering of the 4512 and I hope it arrives in a timely fashion and that you'll be happy with it.

Don't be too hard on Home Depot or Ridgid, as rolling out a new product is surely got to be a challenge. The logistics of getting it to every possible store, along with any promotional material it a bit of a hurdle I imagine, especially in view of the many problems that the 4511 had. I'm sure nobody want to repeat that.

Biggest problem that I have with it, is that you don't see anything on the website until well after it is in the stores. One might hope that marketing would be making some pre-announcements and some attempt to fire up the enthusiasm so that potential customers would be standing in line for the "release date".

Oh well, I just hope this will be a good saw and that it will sell well. If it doesn't, maybe they should update the 3650/60 line and get it back in the market place... that saw had a long and enthusiastic ownership.

CWS

Comment

Biggest problem that I have with it, is that you don't see anything on the website until well after it is in the stores.
            This would seem to have an even bigger impact on sales since few stores put the stationary power tools on display any more, or has HD reversed their position on that?

I would think that if you are going to do away with static store displays that the web site would have additional information such as a downloadable copy of the manuals and have some demonstration videos as well as detail photos.
            "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
            John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

I got my first glimpse an R4512 yesterday. As others have mentioned, it's basically an orange Craftsman 21833. It has some a few pluses, and some negatives compared to the R4511 IMO. The cast iron top is a safe, well proven format (+), but the steel wings are a big step back, and the table mounted trunnions are a step back vs the cabinet mounted trunnions on the R4511. The new aluminum fence is a mixed bag for me...I'd prefer a steel t-square fence, but they didn't do such a great job with the R4511's fence, so it's a bit of a wash. Regardless, it still appears to be a decent functional saw for $500....what else is better in this price range?

Comment

The Hamilton Mill Ga store had one setup today when I was there. I wasn't very impressed especially with the stamped steel wings. The fence was off also, but maybe that was from just shoddy setup for display. I aligned it with the miter slot and the far end was off by more than 1/8" . Price was $499.00. I'll take my 3650 over it any day. Now I was in Peachtree Woodworking also and they had a Powermatic cabinet saw setup...now that's a different story!

Comment

well, with the lowest priced PM cabinet saw on the woodcraft website coming in at around $2700, i would hope there would be a difference between it and a $500 contractor saw. but powermatic? come on. talk about a line of tools trading on their past reputation. long on promise, short on delivery and overpriced..now that's the definirtion of a poor value.
                  there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

In spewing your hatred of Powermatic products, as you are not basing your claims on any quantitative data, we would all be better served if you would preface your statements with "in my opinion" or "it has been my experience" rather than stating it as if it were fact.

The Powermatic products I own are very high quality tools. Can't speak of their service as I have never needed any assistance.

Comment

I just picked one up this afternoon.

(Crosses fingers re: prior issues with the Craftsman iteration of this saw...)

I don't like the fact that they don't usually have them set up in stores anymore. Then again, I buy plenty of things online, so I guess this is no different other than paying local sales tax.

Comment

Originally posted by tomapple View Post
                        In spewing your hatred of Powermatic products, as you are not basing your claims on any quantitative data, we would all be better served if you would preface your statements with "in my opinion" or "it has been my experience" rather than stating it as if it were fact.

The Powermatic products I own are very high quality tools. Can't speak of their service as I have never needed any assistance.

a. your "very high quality tools" must be older vintage powermatic when the company wasn't part of the wmh tool group. that or we define quality differently. b. wait till the unfortunate day arrives when you need the current powermatic (wmh tool group) to provide any sort of assistance for your out of warranty product. your opinion will change quickly. c. check out powermatic opinions over at the saw mill creek forum. the frequency of dissatisfied threads is mounting.

for the record, i do not spew hatred of powermatic tools, or the other two wmh tool group brands, jet and wilton. i do, however, bring to the discussion first hand experience with their abandonment of their customers once their products are out of warranty, even when one is willing to pay handsomely for said assistance. when i purchased my first product, i looked forward to becoming one of their satisfied customers. their lack of followup and lipservice was what unfortunately prevented that from happening.

lastly, "it has been my experience" that the wmh tool group is a marketing company for overpriced poorly made tools with inferior technical support and little else.

Comment

Hi,

got my 4512 and very happy. seems great, not that i have much experience.

my question is this. how do i make a zero clearance inset for this table saw? Check out my photo. There is only a small gap between the top of the table and where the inset rests. About one 8th inch. All the templates are way too thick. Any ideas? Can you buy one?
                          Attached Files

Comment

It looks as though from the pic that you should be able to make it out of 1/2 birch ply (or similar) and drill counterbores where it will rest on the tabs....
                            Mike

Comment

here are two methods:

http://www.woodsmith.com/issues/178/...arance-insert/

http://www.shopnotes.com/issues/090/...arance-insert/

here's a link for buying one:

http://www.ttrackusa.com/zeroclearanceinserts.htm

two things i'd add regarding the portions of the videos where they route the finished ZCI size using the original as a template. i put 1/8" spacers between the ZCI and the original insert. that keeps the cutters on the router bit from coming too close to the original insert. and if the material used to make the ZCI is too thick, just route a rabbet in the underside to remove any excess material and use adjustiing screws to bring the ZCI up to the table height. HTH.

Comment

Working...
                              X