Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4512 Successor to the 4511 Announced

here:

http://www.woodmagazine.com/blogs/wo...-half-of-2010/

looks like it's another craftsman in orange and grey. a bit of a let down, but have not personally used it to really tell.

nice riving knife system (Better than the 4511) as it's adjustable for low and high profile and quick release of the blade guard - like I had on my Bosch4100 which actually means you'll use the blade guard. and the fence looks more jig friendly.

I sure hope they addressed the blade alignment issues they had with the craftsman release (when blade changes height, the alignment is thrown way off) or this will leave this saw useless and a PITA to have/use.

I'm Glad I have the 4511 - its a precise beast and a pleasure to use.
    Last edited by PurpLev; 07-16-2010, 03:26 PM.

Re: 4512 Successor to the 4511 Announced

Any idea if the cast iron top is compatible with the 4511 (as that has been a major concern for many)? Also, noticed the different shade of the extensions. Stamped steel perhaps?
    Last edited by byga; 07-16-2010, 03:15 PM.

Comment

Thumbs down; looks like an exact replica of a saw that's been available at Sears for more than a year and is regularly sold in the $350 range.

Comment

Originally posted by byga View Post
        Any idea if the cast iron top is compatible with the 4511 (as that has been a major concern for many)? Also, noticed the different shade of the extensions. Stamped steel perhaps?
        not sure - only Ridgid would be able to address that. I personally like not having rust on mine - we have high humidity issues here in Boston, especially lately.

on a side note - since the 4511 and the SteelCity saws are identical - and the SC has a CI version, I'm sure there are options out there.

Comment

Just took a look at the Craftsman `version'. It does have stamped steel extensions and the the trunions appear to be mounted to the table top. Read a thread on the Craftsman on another blog and there seemed to be a number of issues/concerns with that model. I have the 4511 (as a newbe, my first non job site type saw) and am quite happy with it.
          Last edited by byga; 07-16-2010, 03:48 PM.

Comment

Looks to me like it has a split fence rail. Which is exactly the main reason I would consider changing my R4511(s).

Comment

So what exactly is the problem with the split rail fence? Once its aligned it works just like a one piece fence.

Comment

Originally posted by mike65072 View Post
                So what exactly is the problem with the split rail fence? Once its aligned it works just like a one piece fence.
                Perhaps I was spoiled. I had (have, for now) a TS3660, which has a baby-bottom smooth operating fence. It glides along the rails with ease. It doesn't however have a riving knife, the dust collection is atrocious and it has an affinity for oxygen.

The R4511 fence is very coarse, and rides over the join in the rail with a bump. That issue aside, I have no complaints at all about the R4511.

To my mind, a well-designed and adjusted machine should operate smoothly and evenly. I happen to have two R4511s, and they both ride the fence rail horribly in comparison with the TS3660.

I'm in two minds really, the R4511 is a much superior saw in every other respect. I should invest some money in a one piece rail for at least one of them, but if I'm going to do that, I should get it chromed or powder coated to address my desire to have it operate smoothly. But then the two R4511s cost me a total of $498. So I am reluctant to put money into them, they will not increase in value.

I could get out of all three, and buy a single saw, but it will not be the R4512. Frankly, I think I'd have to be looking at a Powermatic or Unisaw to make it worth the hassle to sell the existing saws and change up to something that is substantially better than the R4511.

I'm conscious I may be sounding like a spoiled brat, but at the end of the day, my shop is my domain, and I want it right. And preferably orange.

Comment

Be interesting to see how these sell. I predict the price will be dropped to $399 within 60 days of availability to get them to move appreciably. At $499 not enough price difference between the Ridgid version and the normal price for the Craftsman badged product.

I don't see the great value in this saw that we have come to expect from Ridgid. $499 for a left tilt cast iron top saw, with top mounted trunnions, sheet metal extensions and a split front rail?

And as for the problem with a split rail. Yes, once aligned properly it works. But...it is more likely to accidentally "bump" a split rail rail out of alignment as there is more leverage on the two pieces versus a single rail with mounting points spread across the entire rail.**

**Although after looking at the picture as well as the info on the Craftsman saw it appears that this issue has been at least partially addressed with a stabilizing brace mounting between the front and back rail.

As for the top being compatible with the R4511. Extremely unlikely, entirely different machines (probably designed and built by two different manufacturers).
                  Last edited by tomapple; 07-17-2010, 06:24 PM.

Comment

It might turn out to be a decent saw, but they've given up the cabinet mounted trunnions, steel t-square style fence, and solid wings in favor of what appears to a saw with lesser features. Fortunately, it retains the inboard motor location.

It's basically a Craftsman 21833, and is a bit of a let down for sure. The R4511 was a nice design improvement over the 60 year old contractor design of the TS3650. The R4511 had a few opportunities for revisions to improve it, but I'm surprised that they abandoned it altogether in favor of this. I'd really like to hear the real rationalization behind this move.

Last edited by hewood; 07-17-2010, 07:37 PM.

Comment

Other than the riving knife, this is a step backwards from the 4511.

Comment

I could certainly appreciate a few things about it such as the t slots on the fence, a larger paddle on the switch, and what appears to be a spit blade guard... but all of those are simple and cheap upgrades to the 4511. The extension wings and table mounted trunnions however would be a little harder to "upgrade". I'm glad I grabbed my 4511 a few months ago.

Comment

Do you know if the riving knife system of the 4512 will fit on the 4511. There is no riving knife system for the 4511 and I've not been able to locate anyone who can provide one.
                          Thanks for the help.
                          Vince

Comment

Any thoughts on where to get a riving knife system for the 4511. Will the 4512 one work (fit) on the 4511.
                            Thanks,
                            Vince

Comment

There are many threads in this forum about riving knives for the 4511. Some guys have made their own and others have bought one (the most popular supplier is to find one that fits the steel city version of the saw or from http://www.leestyron.com/sharksplitter.php). I plan to get one from Lee but have been busy upgrading blades and belts first.

You'll find tons of information in those threads.

Comment

Working...
                              X