Looking for advice

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for advice

I am looking for a planer 13" . Should I go with the ridgid or the dewalt dw734. Looking for some feedback on these. Thanks peeps

Re: Looking for advice

I like the DW735 over the 734
    "It's a table saw, do you know where your fingers are?" Bob D. 2006

https://www.youtube.com/user/PowerToolInstitute

Comment

Well, since this is a Ridgid forum.........

Comment

The latest incarnation of the RIDGID planer has received favorable reviews from what I remember. There are worse planers out there that is for sure.
        "It's a table saw, do you know where your fingers are?" Bob D. 2006

https://www.youtube.com/user/PowerToolInstitute

Comment

Originally posted by smac92201 View Post
          I am looking for a planer 13" . Should I go with the ridgid or the dewalt dw734. Looking for some feedback on these. Thanks peeps
          The DW734 is only 12.5". Probably doesn't make a difference, but wanted to point it out.

Interesting aside: I got a couple of the DW735s on clearance and listed my extra 1 on CL. Nice woodworker came all the way from NY state to purchase it. We got to talking and he mentioned that a 12.5" planer wouldnt do any good for him, but the 13" would. Why? He builds guitars, and a Fender body is....13" wide. Funny how that 1/2" makes a huge difference.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
            I like the DW735 over the 734
            +1 Generally considered the best of the bunch when it comes to benchtop planers.
            ================================================== ====
            All of us could take a lesson from the weather. It pays no attention to criticism.

Comment

I can't speak for the DeWalt(s), but I do have the RIDGID R4330. For the money I paid ($258 during HD's Ultimate Power Deal), I am extremely satisfied. It's handled everything I threw at it, including a couple of 12 inch wide slabs of 8 foot long 2x4s laminated together. I will say it's noisy, but I think that's the nature of the beast, with the high speed cutters. It has three blades, not 2, and a nice feature with the cut depth indicator (Indicut, I think it's called). Not to be confused with the positive depth stop on the side. With RIDGID's return policy (90 days, no questions), and HD's return policy (equally few questions), and the LLSA, you can't go wrong.

If you find it isn't for you, take it back and pony up for the DW735 (and tables). For the price of the 735, if you find the right deal and can afford to wait for it to come around, you could score a decent planer AND a jointer. I'd rather have a reasonable jointer/planer pair than a great planer alone. Unless, that is, you already have a jointer.
              Last edited by Roadster280; 07-23-2010, 03:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by budedm View Post
                Well, since this is a Ridgid forum.........
                Oh sorry Your right ive never seen any other brands discussed here

Comment

Thanks to all that replied. I would have loved to score a dw735 but none in my area. The 12.5 is not a concern as i usually try to work with the narrower stock to save on warpage. I will probably stick with team orange but the rpm is quite different between these two and dont want to make a mistake over a $60 diffrence.

Comment

Don't have and have never used the Ridgid, so cannot comment on it. I do have the DeWalt 734.

Solid machine and "out of the box" worked quite well, including accuracy on thickness. The input and outfeed tables are canted up some, and work well at reducing snipe on longer boards if you get into the habit of lightly raising the board as it exits. However, for boards less than 18" you will have to adjust them down or you will get snipe. Reducing cut to about 1/8th turn of the feed adjustment will give you a very smooth finish on the last cuts.

The head lock works well. It weighs about 80 lbs, so can be picked up and moved from shelf to bench. Stores in a rather small footprint without the dust hood. With it, it takes up an area of about 1 1/2" by 1 1/2' with tables folded up as far as they will go.

Blades cost about $50 per set of three, and have 2 edges. They hold up well on softer woods but dull fairly quickly on hard stuff like kiln-dried white oak. Blade changes are simple after the first go round. On the first change, take extreme care not to round out the allen head as the screws are drastically over-torqued from the factory. If you run into resistance, use vise-grips or tap the edge of the head with a dull chisel to loosen, or they will round out.

Dust extraction requires a good shop vac (I use a Ridgid 14 gal, "6.5 hp") Chips will still spit out some around the blades and may mar soft wood. If planing green wood, expect the chips to jam up some in the far end of the extraction chute, if you use it.

A good bench top planer for the price, best bought during a sale or with a discount coupon. I think mine was worth what I paid, and I have put over 1000 linear feet of lumber through it.

If and when I replace it, it will be with a floor model that has the cutter on the bottom and feed rollers on the top.

JMTCW

Go
                    Last edited by Gofor; 07-26-2010, 09:31 PM.
                    Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

Working...
                    X