X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5" Random Orbit Sander R2601

I own many rigid tools and I go through sanders about every two years. I have always bought rigid sanders, I just like rigid for woodworking. I just bought a new rigid sander the 5" Random Orbit Sander R2601. The smooth and quiet operation is nice but "WHAT WERE YOU THINKING WHEN YOU CHANGED THE DUST COLLECTION? No, I do not want to hook up the rigid shop vac to the sander because it would be running all day long and I would have to fight the hose also. This new dust bag has got to be the worst thing since soup sandwiches. It just blows dust through the snap lock like it wasn’t even there! If you have any of the previous models with the screw on dust bag please send me a couple. I bought the sander yesterday and today I am looking for a new sander, but it looks like most other brands are using the same snap lock .

Re: 5" Random Orbit Sander R2601

Welcome to the Ridgid forum!

I noticed the new filter amount a few weeks ago when looking to pick up a second R2600, and I too was wondering why they changed the mount? I've have the original R2600 and have used it for about five years now, with absolutely no problems. I have worn through one hook & loop pad in that time, but mechanically it's worked remarkably well and I thought I'd pick up a second one, for no other reason than I wouldn't have to swap grits as often.

But the new filter mount seemed a bit "less" than the old screw mount and it left me wondering... so thanks for the answer.

I imagine you are SOL on getting a new sander with the same filter unless you can pick one up on Craig's List or E-Bay. Short of that about the only recommendation I could make was to wrap some tape around the connection or use some kind of seal... which is sort of ridiculous considering that someone at TTI/Ridgid considered this change to be an "improvement".

Makes one wonder why the change and who approved and based on what?.

CWS

Comment

Re: 5" Random Orbit Sander R2601

Originally posted by dflake View Post
      This new dust bag has got to be the worst thing since soup sandwiches. It just blows dust through the snap lock like it wasn’t even there!
      Thanks for the post about the new dust bag connection! I have an older 1/4 sheet R2501 that has the screw type filter & I've never had a problem with it.

Originally posted by CWSmith View Post
      I imagine you are SOL on getting a new sander with the same filter unless you can pick one up on Craig's List or E-Bay.
      I'm going the have to double check a HD near me that had some sanders on clearance last week, Maybe I'll get lucky & find one of the older style filters?

Comment

Working...
      X