R4511 with Delta T2 Fence

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R4511 with Delta T2 Fence

Never could get my stock fence alignment issues solved permanently to my satisfaction because my tubes weren't true to each other. Put the Delta T2 fence on over the weekend and my issues disappeared. I know it's not a Vega or Biesemeyer but wow, what a difference. Dead nuts on no matter where I put it. I'm just about out of the habit of measuring to see if the fence is parallel 3 times before each cut, that the stock fence put me into.

I didn't have to but I drilled 4 new holes in both front and rear rails to shift the rails to the position I wanted. Used one of tube holes to attach the grounding strap and drilled/tapped new holes for the on/off switch. Everything worked out okay except the height of the tube was about 1/8" to high for the mitre gauge (that I don't use anymore) and crosscut sled. I'll build a better sled later but I just shaved back 6" with the chisel and now it clears just fine for the height of doors I'll be sizing.

Was thinking about getting the Sears or Steel City fence that are direct bolt on's to this 4511 but they are 200 bucks more than this one.
    Attached Files

Re: R4511 with Delta T2 Fence

Looks good, I'm sure you'll be happy with the new fence.

Comment

I think the T2 is about the best bang for the buck going @ ~ $156 shipped. Well done!

Comment

Mr.D, sent you a pm on installation as this looks like a good fix for my nagging fence issues.

Basically wanted to know if you hadn't drilled new holes would the front and rear rail holes have lined up with the R4511?

Comment

Originally posted by Cato View Post
          Mr.D, sent you a pm on installation as this looks like a good fix for my nagging fence issues.

Basically wanted to know if you hadn't drilled new holes would the front and rear rail holes have lined up with the R4511?
          1 hole lines up perfect, 1 other hole lined up good enough to get the bolt in but not good enough to tighten down. I could have gotten the dremel out and rounded that 2nd hole a bit to make it work but I decided just to drill all 4 holes since I was going to have to drill new holes anyway. Both front and back rails are about 1/8" from the left corner of the table. I clamped the old/new front angles together but measured out the back rails. Hope this helps.

Comment

Thanks for the reply and info on this, as it will be very useful for those considering a change.

Comment

Hey Mr D . I just got my T2 for my R4511 and bolted it up with the two holes that line up but, my blade to fence measurement does not match the indicator strip . there is a difference of 3/4 of an inch.Did you have this problem ??

Comment

Originally posted by ayalaman View Post
                Hey Mr D . I just got my T2 for my R4511 and bolted it up with the two holes that line up but, my blade to fence measurement does not match the indicator strip . there is a difference of 3/4 of an inch.Did you have this problem ??
                1.) I had 2 holes line up but I couldn't tighten down the second countersink screw to my satisfaction, so I redrilled all 4 holes to where I wanted for the most to-the-right-of-blade-cutting.

2.) That did screw up the location of the supplied measurement strip. Haven't done much work the last few weeks with the saw because its been so hot & I've been traveling but I just purchased a self adhesive measuring strip yesterday. I'll scrape the old one off and install the new one next week.

Comment

I think thats what i will do too. thanks for the halp

Comment

Ordered a T2 fence this morning, and look forward to having a one piece rail tube.

Comment

Well, After I looked at it more I didn't want to pull off the factory placed strip on the rail.So what I did was since i was off 3/4 of an inch, i made a mark 3/4 of a inch to the left of the first hole on the new angle iron, clamped the old angle iron to the new angle iron with the first hole on the old angle iron on the mark i made and drilled 4 new holes using the old iron as a template and then counter sunk all the holes. Then bolted it up to the saw and now my fence to blade measurement is dead-on to what the indicator strip reads . so now i will do the same to the back rail..

Comment

Ayalaman,

What drill bit sizes are required for the process? I will need to check my bits to make sure I have the right ones in good condition for the job.

I am guessing that once you guys clamped and lined up the old to the new as a template you center punched where you were going to drill?

Hmm, since the rails would be back to back, you would have to measure and transfer the punch locations to the front side to get it on the drill press where it will lay flat?

Comment

Cato, I can't remember what size and since my saw is at my auto shop i can't look at it until monday but, what i did is run a few bits by hand in the old rail until i found one that fit good. The old angle iron is is bigger than the new one that you get with the new fence so i just clamped the new in front of the old and not back to back.Then i use the old angle iron's hole as a guide and then used a block of wood and a drill press and drilled all 4 holes

I tried to post a pic but it didn't work...
                          Last edited by ayalaman; 08-22-2010, 10:44 PM.

Comment

Ayalaman,
                            Thanks, I get the picture of your procedure. I'll see it better when the fence gets here.

Comment

I bought the T2 when Lowes was clearing them out (think I paid like $125)

The angle iron included with the T2 will not allow you to mount it without the front tube interfering with the R4511's miter slots. The rear angle also presents some problems as well.

My take was to either buy a new piece of angle (sized between that supplied with the T2 fence and the larger one included with the R4511) and fab it up or use the front angle included with the R4511. I opted to use the angle that was included with the R4511.

I moved it one hole right. I used a piece of oak and planed it down to shim the front tube up to a usable height. I then drilled and tapped new holes in the tube to mount it (I moved it far enough right to allow 36" cut width...enough for sawing standard height cabinet components).

I used the rear angle included with the T2 (if you mount it carefully you have just enough clearance for the rear of the miter slots). Had to cut down the T2's rear plastic glide to the appropriate height. Been using it for probably a year and a half. Like it very much.
                              Last edited by tomapple; 08-23-2010, 03:38 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X