Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rigid Press drill chuck question

Hi

I haved purchase this press drill, mounting machine and chuck as write in the manual.

But i have a little problem, i think the chuck is not seated correctly because when i try to drill wood blank stylo with 7mm drill, the hole is lighty oversize for the brass pipe. I ajust table and everything i can think.

Question 1

How i can verify the good seating of the chuck.

Question 2

Maybe i don't do the installation of the chuck correctly, i following information in the manual of the DP tut maybe there is a better manner to install the chuck.

Thank you for your advice.

Excuse my english
    Last edited by viberts; 08-06-2010, 12:20 PM.
    Steve From Longueuil, QC

Re: Rigid Press drill chuck question

Your English is better than my French!

wood blank stylo = pen blank

The only thing I can suggest is to ensure you clean both the spindle and chuck tapers with clean lint free cloth and alcohol. Any dirt/grease will cause seating issues and may cause some run-out. With the chuck off you may want to check the spindle run out with a dial micrometer then seat the chuck (I open the chuck all the way so the jaws are not exposed rest a board against the chuck and give it a wack with a dead blow hammer).
    Put a brass pen blank or other perfectly straight rod in the chuck and measure the run-out again. If there is a significant difference you may have a bad chuck.

Comment

Hi Wbrooks

I will following your suggest but what's a "dead blow hammer". I have a rubber hammer, this is it.

The idea for the dial micrometer is fine, i will try this too.

Thank you for your help

Steve from Longueuil, QC
      Steve From Longueuil, QC

Comment

Dead blow is usually hard plastic loaded with heavy material (shot), not rubber as they bounce off surfaces that you strike.
        When you hit a surface with a dead blow it does not bounce back
        Here is an example of one

Comment

Ok, i see what's the type of the hamme. I don't have but i get this soon. For the moment i have try with my hammer rubber after i clean my chuck and shaft with alcool. It's the same thing.

The DP is a new one of the 3 week. I don't can check with dial micrometer because the battery is down so i must get battery for.

I'm a little bet upset because i have get this for get off the problem when i drill my pen blank but i have always the *(&?&%*( the problem.

Baf ! I like the machine anyway, i think change the chuck for one keyless.

Anyway thank you for your advices

Have a nice summer
          Steve From Longueuil, QC

Comment

Working...
          X