X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• is the 14.4 impact driver any good

i just bought the 14.4 impact driver combo kit(drill/driver and the impact) i couldn't beat the price for 129 i got the drill impact charger and two batterys oh and the tool bag.i see the imact has 1400 in lbs of touque whitch was 250 more than any one else. the tools feels to be very soild and well made i do like the 20 minute charger as well. i dont like the tool bag i have always perferd a case but oh well it seems all are going with a bag nowadays. but my question is this,will this tool soon be one of my favorites or will i soon be like why did i just buy this???
    and for all you that say the tool is not made in the usa bite my i have known that for some time and you can thank our goverment for gas prices because we export more than 1,000,000 barrels of gas and fuel to china and other places around the world so before you get on my butt about buying a tool that was made in chaina i really dont want to hear it and yes i would prefer the tools to be made hereor at least a contry that is free but the fact isthey are not and may never be!!! sorry for all of you men and women that may have just been offended that was not my intent
    9/11/01, never forget.

It will soon be your favourite tool. I have had mine for 6 months and I use it for just about everything. It is by far the best tool for screws of almost any kind (wood, deck, lag, tapscon, etc). I have used mine to finish a 9" deep 2.25" diameter hole with a hex shank forstner bit, just put in a 1/2" drive to hex shank adapter then used an extension and the correct size socket to fit the end of the forestner bit. The impact effect works well for drilling large holes. I have a full set of air tools but recently I have found that the 14.4 impact driver has plenty of torque to remove most bolts (120 ft LBS = 1440 in LBS) and it works faster than an air impact without that hose to fit into awkward places.
    I could not imagine being without mine now

Comment

thanks w brooks for the reply and just to let you all know a friend of mine just bought the yellow and black 18 volt impact and mine 14.4 volt out powers his 18 volt 1400 in lbs to 1175in lbs lol
      9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

October Workbench compared seven 14.4V impact drivers and the Ridgid demonstrated ample power performing near or at the top in all the various speed tests (lag, deck and masonry screws, and drilling a hole with a 1” spade bit). The author was mainly disappointed with the battery reserve, which would only last about half as long as the competition. They chose Bosch as the top dog with Makita a close second.

Woodslayer

Comment

The battery is a problem especially since the tool only comes with one. If you have the 14.4 HC ridgid drill all the battery problems would be solved (except that they won't fit in the impact case), I bought another regular 14.4 battery and have never been down yet.

Comment

hey chevy..i just got the drill and inpact,,from what i have seen so far i love it...i do like dewalt but since half my wood working shop is over half ridgid..jointer, planer, jigsaw, sander,,etc. if i had to buy stuff again i would still go with ridgid all the way.

Comment

wbrooks you are right the more i use the imact the more and more i like it i have used it just about every day so far but i have had no problems with the batterys and i hope it stays this way and yes i still dont like the bag
              9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

Oldslowchevy,

I have the same combo (purchased last Friday) and love it; great price or what! I too, do not care for the bag, but I saw that note, regarding the hard cases, that came with the manuals and yesterday I called Ridgid parts (actually, Order Tree 1-866-472-8177)to see what they would cost.

The case for the impact driver is part number 300912166 is $28.12

The case for the drill/driver is part number 300912059 is $26.60

Hope this helps,

CWS

[ 11-14-2005, 05:02 PM: Message edited by: CWSmith ]

Comment

Well, my son thinks the bag is great. I also bought the drill/impact driver kit last week and gave the bag to my son. He's an apprentice plumber and said the bag will make a great tote for his solders, flux, frequently used copper fitting, PVC/CPVC cements and primers.
                  Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

my wife loves the bag................she uses it for all of her bingo stuff
                    9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

Not to steal the thread - but I have been wondering if a 14.4 impact driver would have enough torque/power/whatever to loosen the lug nuts on my vehicles. Last time I had to change a tire on my vehicle it took me an hour to get the lug nuts 'busted' loose...I admit to not being as strong as I once was, but even my 1/2" air-driven impact wrench wouldn't loosen those things. Obviously, it would be a little expensive to buy this tool just for the once a year use on the vehicles but I'm sure I could find other uses for it as well. Bottom line - is the cordless version significantly more powerful than an air-driven style? Thanks in advance for replies!
                      Of course I can build you one of those - I just need a [new tool]!

Comment

Not a hope. It is powerful for such a small light tool but it is only 116.6 ft LBS not nearly enough to break frozen nuts free. The corded one R6300 would be more up to the task at 450 ft LBS. Your other option would be to upgrade your air impact gun

Comment

Just picked up a 14.4 drill/impact driver combo kit a HD for 139.00 as part of the Clearance sale since it came with 2 batterys bag drill and impact friver i couldnt pass it up.. impact is awesome ans with 2 batterys and 20 min charger i havent run out of juice yet.

Comment

What clearance sale???

Oh wait, let me guess--this is another thing that's only happening in the US Home Depots and not in the Canadian ones [img]smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                            X