X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fountain of Questions

Baby number two is due in 2.5 weeks - desperate race to finish small projects around the house.

I get smoke (10" table saw R4510) when ripping hickory or when making bevel rips on spruce - does that tell me it's working? Or is my blade shagged because I hit a screw? Or am I doing <<too many>> things wrong? (I measured the thickness of the smallest off-cut strip that came off blade at 0.006".) Should I have my blade re-sharpened or should I just get a new one? Is the 50 tooth Freud combo blade any good? That's about the only good namebrand I can find around here. Get chrome finish, red finish or gold finish such as the finish they put on the Rigid blades?)

I have trouble cross-cutting 1x12" boards over 4 feet long - what's the trick? Or do I also need a sliding mitre saw?!

Can anyone confirm that the 8" dado is acceptable, contrary to the operating instructions, per the user review elsewhere in this forum?

Anyone available to take my call to answer this and other questions by phone???

Yours,
    Gabby
    Last edited by shoesandbikes; 08-12-2010, 11:59 PM.

Re: Fountain of Questions

Just purchased a Bosch sliding 10" compound mitre saw. Any tips for making clean square cuts?

Comment

The best tip I can offer you is to read the Owners Manual from cover to cover before making any critical cuts. All the information you need to know about your new saw and how to set it up will be in there.

I'm not familiar with the blades that Bosch provides with their saws so you may or may not have to upgrade in order to get the clean cuts you desire. Not just any blade will do either, you'll need to buy one that has a very low to negative hook angle on the blades teeth.

Good luck with your new saw and welcome to the forum.
      Last edited by BadgerDave; 08-13-2010, 01:02 PM.
      Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

The blade included with the 10" Bosch slider is actually very good.

Comment

I don't care for combo blades as they are not great at either cross cut or rip they are ok for both with ok results. Better to use a rip blade to rip and crosscut to crosscut.
          For longer boards you should build a crosscut sled for your table saw, try a seach here as there have been a few posts on that topic.
          Ridgid blades are freud

Make sure your fence is parallel to your saw blade for smoke but I still think most of the smoke is your 50 tooth trying to rip hickory

Comment

Originally posted by BadgerDave View Post
            The best tip I can offer you ... and welcome to the forum.
            Thanks, and thanks! Read the manual for safety, operation and fence square adjustment. Made my cuts for the bookshelf - square as a Starret on wood - so far so good. I like the 'jump around'. Remind me to do that in a few weeks.

Comment

Originally posted by wbrooks View Post
              I don't care for combo blades ... build a crosscut sled for your table saw, try a seach here as there have been a few posts on that topic.
              Ridgid blades are freud

Make sure your fence is parallel
              Thanks - re. combo blade - I saw a thread regarding the ideal two blades. I will review again; but the blade manufacturer did not ring a bell - I can only seem to find Freud around here.

Re. parallel fence - somehow the fence has moved recently - it had remained dead nuts with my original adjustment. I'll fix that. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by tomapple View Post
                The blade included with the 10" Bosch slider is actually very good.
                So far so good. I am very impressed by this saw. (First thing this morning, I bought a cheap sliding compound mitre saw at half the price; and took it back to the store within minutes so I could go get this Bosch. It is not fair to say that the Bosch is worth much more than twice the money because they seem more like apples and oranges. The Bosch saw is fantastic and inspiring - it feels precise and is built to last. The other is a waste of money.

Comment

Yes, the Bosch is an excellent saw. It was my choice when evaluating a slider. Winner of a number of editors choice awards. The recent price drops (prelude to their new saw being released) makes it an even better buy than before.
                  Last edited by tomapple; 08-14-2010, 12:15 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X