Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re-painting the lettering on a routed sign post

Howdy all!

I spend a lot more time lurking (and learning) here than contributing, as most of you folks are way ahead of me on any topic I can think of.

That said, I have a vexing problem and sure could use a hand.

I am a lucky recipient of a "California Trail / Mormon Trail' commemorative marker from way back when. Those have all been replaced, and some of us lucky folks ended up with one of the replaced sign posts.

This one probably dates to about 1960 or so. It is a rough cut 6 X 6 post with routed signage (on the vertical). The routed lettering was originally painted in white, but most of that paint has worn away.

I have it in the ground, so laying it horizontally on a flat surface to repaint the lettering would be a major challenge.

Would any of you kind souls have some advice for me as to how I should try to refresh the paint in the routed lettering?

Thanks in advance, and thanks again for all I have learned here,

Dan

Re: Re-painting the lettering on a routed sign post

My suggestion would be to completely mask over the face of the sign. Using and exacto knife or similar blade cut out your letters and then use some spray paint or spray coloured polyurethane to freshen the lettering. Not perfect but its the easiest solution I know of for a vertical surface like you are dealing with. Hope this sparks some ideas.

Bill

Comment

I would look in to "sign paint", and just brush it,

for example, http://www.1shot.com/home.html

http://www.tcpglobal.com/PinstriperD...No=ONE+158L-QP

http://www.tcpglobal.com/pinstriperd...FZQz5wodGmUxew
      or
      http://www.amazon.com/Polar-White-On.../dp/B0027ZCHRK
      Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
      attributed to Samuel Johnson
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Why not spray the post with the color that you want the lettering and then sand the post with a ROS or a belt sander.

Comment

Hey, thanks for the replies guys!

This one is pretty tricky because the wood itself is quite aged... Lots of splintering and very rough to the touch. Our local woods are mostly soft woods, very little in the way of hard woods in the area, so I'm thinking the weathering goes quite deep into the post. Masking, then, would be a real challenge.

I'm thinking about masking the majority of the post, then using vaseline (or similar) on the flat surfaces adjacent to each letter. Then, maybe with a very patient hand, using a small brush with high quality enamel.

I need to check on BHD's links too (thanks again), but wanted to jump in and say thanks to all you kind folks.

Comment

Ditto on the "sign paint". A soft camel's hair artist's brush should allow you to fully flow it into the routed letters and still maintain a sharp edge. The trick is to fully wet the brush so the paint flows smoothly from it. Choose a brush that is about 1/2 to 2/3rds the width of the routed letter to give you more control. The harder you push, the more it splays out to fill the letter.

Go
            Last edited by Gofor; 08-23-2010, 08:45 PM.
            Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

Thanks Gofor,

As it turns out, I have a neighbor who sounds pretty savvy on the topic too. He recommended the same thing, re: artist's brush. I sure appreciate your detail on how to select one... Methinks that's the route we will be trying. Thanks again everyone,and have a great day!

Comment

Working...
              X