Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I put marble medallion in a wood floor?

I have engineered wood flooring and was wondering if there was any way to put in a marble mosaic medallion. I have one in my tile bath room and love it and thought it might be nice to have one in my offiec as well. Just dont know if it can be done with wood.
    Im looking at the inlay g003 wich actually looks like wood.
    http://tilefloormedallion.com/Square_inlays.html
    The marble is 3/8" thick

What kind of special border would I need?

Thanks

Re: Can I put marble medallion in a wood floor?

Originally posted by redspot321 View Post
    I have engineered wood flooring and was wondering if there was any way to put in a marble mosaic medallion. I have one in my tile bath room and love it and thought it might be nice to have one in my offiec as well. Just dont know if it can be done with wood.
    The marble is 3/8" thick

Thanks
    Sure you can do it.

How thick is your engineered flooring? You might need to rout into the ply subfloor if it's thin. Figure on 1/16 to 1/8 of mortar as typical.

I would use an epoxy mortar to set the marble because when you rout the wood you'll end up with a raw (unfinished) wood edge. The cement mortars will sometimes attack the wood, turning it black. Laticrete has their Latapoxy 300 and Custom Building Products has their new EBM Lite material. I've used both... prefer the Latapoxy but the other will work fine too. Be careful not to get epoxy mortar on the face of the marble.

The epoxy mortar is water cleanup. But keep a gallon of laquer thinner on hand. It's only water cleanup until it starts to cure... then water will not work! After it's fully cured, basically nothing will get it off except mechanical abrasion.

Same issue with cement-based grout. I've started using Laticrete Spectralock grout for nearly everything, which again is an epoxy, and find it to be a great product. It's very expensive and a little harder to use than regular grout but worth it IMO. You should seal your marble (very carefully) prior to grouting - try not to get sealer into the grout spaces. I use a sponge just barely wet with sealer rather than glom it on, and use several coats. The spectralock probably won't stain your marble but WILL give the stone a "wet look" which might be okay... but I have no idea how long it will last, whether it will start to wear and look splotchy after a time, or whether you can seal over it. So the safest thing to do is pre-seal.
    Last edited by Andy_M; 08-18-2010, 02:10 PM.

Comment

He!! yeah. You can put a baby's T-shirt on a chicken if your fast enough.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
        He!! yeah. You can put a baby's T-shirt on a chicken if your fast enough.

J.C.
        LMAO

Well the wood floor is thin. Im guessing 3/8" or less. This is on a concrete foundation. I guess it may stick up a bit but my look nice in fron of my desk in a no traffic area.

Comment

LMAO

Well the wood floor is thin. Im guessing 3/8" or less. This is on a concrete foundation. I guess it may stick up a bit but my look nice in fron of my desk in a no traffic area.
          If there's ever going to be chairs there, that may not work well. I would recommend, since it's going to stick up a bit no matter where it is, that you trim it with wood. The wood will be dinged, but it's way easier to replace a piece of wood trim than it would be to fix the medallion.
          I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

Get a segmented concrete grinding cup wheel for your angle grinder and grind down the concrete a bit. With the right wheel it will take you 1/2 an hour or less. Much less if you can get that t-shirt on the chicken.

You'll never regret doing the job properly.

Don't be tempted to let the medallion stand proud of the rest of the floor. Marble is not durable at all - almost anything will chip it... it'll look like hell.

Comment

The marble is 3/8" thick

Thanks
              make shure, to intall cement boar under the marble if you have wood subfloor

Comment

Working...
              X