X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Router Recommendations?

I'm in the process of outfitting my first workshop and my next purchase will be a router; but I'm not sure wich one to get. I'm leaning toward the Porter Cable 690 fixed base, but I'd like to see what everyone else thinks. I have the Ridgid TS2424 and a MS1250 and they have been great purchases, I just wish Ridgid made routers. In any case if anyone has a router they really love or hate, I'd be interested in your thoughts.

Thanks, I appreciate your feedback.

Casey:

I have the PC690pk kit and it is great. I loved it so much i bought the PC 691 D handle and looking at getting the PC7318 (3hp variable speed).
    The 690pk has the plunge base and a standard base. You simply remove the motor from one base to another.
    Also, I received great customer service with Pentar (who ownes Porter Cable, Delta and DeVilbiss).

Comment

Casey---yes, for a first shop a combo pack router is the way to go. That way, should you later decide to build a beginning router table, you can leave the fixed base attached to the table---much more convienent.

PC pack is well thought of but also do some locking at DeWalt, which is also producing combos.
      Dave

Comment

PC now has a variable speed router combo kit that you should look at.

Michael

Comment

I have the Makita combo and would not hesitate to buy it again. One of the strongest virtues is that it is considerably quieter than some of the competition, not to mention ample power with soft-start motor. On the con side, you need to use two wrenches to change bits, most newer models posses a lock that only requires the use of one wrench.

Comment

On the con side, you need to use two wrenches

I think you meant on the -pro- side. Details only if asked.

Dave

Comment

Dave

Please enlighten me, I personally have never found two wrenches to be over burdensome but this is the only router I have ever owned and am used to it. I was just restating the claims of all the reviews I have read, but you do have my curiosity up.

Thanks

Woodslayer

Comment

I have the 2 1/4 hp DeWalt combo and so far, with limited use, am very pleased. The plunge base is excellent for a combo unit and the fixed has many nice features as well. I think it is better balanced than other's such as the Makita, which feels top heavy to me. The soft start and variable speed work excellent. The switch is always in the same place, and changing out the motor couldn't be easier. As far as the noise, I've never heard a router that should NOT be used WITHOUT ear protection, so I don't think its a real issue. I looked closely at the Bosch and Makita, both look good,(I don't think the PC plunge base is any good), but chose the DeWalt for its features and feel, and the plunge base closely resembling the DW621. I'm going to hang it on my table this weekend and begin using it much more.

Comment

Woodslayer---I think Dave A. was just saying the two-wrench system isn't a disadvantage, but a plus. Depending on the shaft lock system, I have to agree. I have the PC 7529, and have a perminent indent in my thumb from holding down that little shaft lock button I would say the best shaft lock I saw/used was on my old POS Craftsman, which had a slide lever to lock the shaft. Otherwise, getting used to two wrenches is easy enough.
                  Dave

Comment

A combo pack is a great selection for your first set up, will let you do most anything.
                    Home Depot has a deal right now on a PC that comes with the free micro adjust fence, $50 value, 1/4 & 1/2 inch collets, vs and a case. It's $200, and not a bad deal. It's also 1 3/4hp. I bought one for freehand work and I have yet to experience any problems. Also the base plate is made to fit bushings, which are basically sold to fit the PC. Places like Rockler and Woodcraft sell clear baseplates with larger holes for larger bits, I too have purchased those for $10 each.
                    It's pretty much all personal preference, you really have to look close at details and what's available for that router and how it fits into your plans for using it.
                    I will say this though, if HD ever restocks that new Ryobi 2hp plunge base, VS for $99 bucks I'm getting one just see what it will take. I've read some good reviews it's an excellent entry level router full of features.
                    I wish you much luck on your decission and hope the one you pick is the right one for you.

I NEED MORE CLAMPS !!! Donations accepted.
                    John E. Adams<br /><a href=\"http://www.woodys-workshop.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.woodys-workshop.com</a>

Comment

The Bosch and Makita combo packs normally get the best reviews, although the DeWalt is so new I haven't seen a comparison.

I have the older PC combo pack (PC693), a Makita and the monster PC7518. I use the small PC for all my hand routing and the others for the table. I have never tried to push the 690, so it works well for my handheld operations, but I would not buy it today.

The Makita and Bosch (not sure about the new DeWalts) have softstart, adjustable speed and more power than the PC. The Makita also uses the same guides as the PC, so I can use mine on any of my routers. While I use ear protection when using any of my routers, the Makita is a lot quiter than either of the PC's.

Bob R

[ 01-03-2003, 07:55 PM: Message edited by: Bob R ]

Comment

I'll shoot a couple pictures this weekend to illustrate why two wrenches are better. Hard to describe with just words. I will also dispel one Journalist's annoying categorization of them as "knucklebusters", which only means he isn't using them right.

Dave

Comment

Dave---maybe those guys calling them "knuckle busters" are the same ones who complain about getting their fingers pinched in table saw webbed wings
                          Dave

Comment

I once busted my knuckles, but that was because the wrench slipped off one part of the collet, and everything came crashing together. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Personally, I would not buy a router without the two wrench system. When you have a piece of steel with sharp edges spinning at 20,000 rpm, you don't want to take chances.

Comment

I've got a DeWalt 621 Plunge and a Milwaukee fixed-base Palm Grip. They're both great tools, and I've never had any problems with them. The DeWalt runs pretty quiet and has a soft-start, which is unbeatable. For Xmas my wife got me a router table set-up, and a cheap Ryobi router. I tryed it once and returned it. It was noisy as hell, and got bogged down by just running a 1/4" staight bit 1/8" deep in pine. Either way, you get what you pay for.
                              Marcus Rinaldi<BR>Service Tech<BR>F&W Heating & Cooling

Comment

Working...
                              X