Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drill Press Question

Hello,

I'm getting ready to buy a drill press, and am looking for information on the Model #155736 from Northern Tool. Here's a link to it:

Northern Industrial Tools Floor Drill Press — 3/4 HP, 5/8in. Chuck Size.

Does anybody own this press or one of the others that Northern sells? I compared it to a Jet, and they are appear to be very similar. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
    De Colores,
    Dow
    Boerne, TX

Except for the paint job, that one is a mirror image to my DP which wears a Tool Shop badge. Specs are identical too. My guess is they come from the same factory in China.

I've had mine for a couple of years now without any issues. I've heard that runout can sometimes be an issue with some of the lesser expensive DP's but I've never had any problem with it. Vibration is another problem that I don't seem to have either but I do have my unit bolted down on a mobile base though. All in all, I've been very happy with my version of this DP and don't think you'd be making a mistake buying it. FWIT, I only paid $150 NIB at Menards so maybe you can talk them down a bit. I do have to say though that the primary use so far for my DP has been drilling into wood. I have done some drilling in light metal without a problem.

[ 12-14-2004, 03:35 PM: Message edited by: badgerdave ]
    ================================================== ====
    All of us could take a lesson from the weather. It pays no attention to criticism.

Comment

I suspected as much. The housing on this one is a mirror image to a slightly larger Jet that they have on the floor, as are the number of speeds, although the actual speeds listed is slightly different (20-40 rpm on average). Other differences are motor size (Jet= 1 hp, Northern= 3/4 hp), location and type of power switch (Northern has the paddle, and Jet has the Green on/Red off type), and type of depth stop (northern has the ring-style, Jet has the threaded rod). Price for the Jet is in theneighborhood of $400, and the Northern Tool is 169.95.

Guess I'll give it a shot, especially considering the price.
      De Colores,
      Dow
      Boerne, TX

Comment

Bump for other opinions.

Thanks!
        De Colores,
        Dow
        Boerne, TX

Comment

Hmmm... I guess that you may be the only list member to own one of these drill presses.

Anybody else???
          De Colores,
          Dow
          Boerne, TX

Comment

What is the RPM range? I think you need a good speed range, which helps the tool's versatility.
            I have seen the Northerns, and they seem pretty good, especially floor models. But if you can afford it, I would go with the Jet. Most likely both of them are made by the same company, but sometimes if they look the same, one is made by the other, and the "mother company " is a better deal in the long run, because it is higher quality.
            <a href=\"http://www.freewebs.com/buctooth\" target=\"_blank\">www.freewebs.com/buctooth</a><br />Please tell us how you like the site, even if you hate it. If you want, feel free to visit the forum.

Comment

Working...
            X