X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bandsaw replacement lower wheel?

I was in the shop tuning my band saw in order to do some resawing and figured I need to get the vibration issue's solved. Well I noticed that the upper wheel is balanced and spins true just need to sand the tires down to true.

However the lower wheel does not spine true its visibly warped and is noticeable when the wheel is spun by hand or by the motor and is most likely the cause of my vibration. Is there any after market wheel that can be purchased or any thing that can be done to fix this short of going through the hassle of getting a warranty replacement that may or may not be true itself?

Re: Bandsaw replacement lower wheel?

is this a ridgid BS? if yes, and you paid good money for it, i'd make a warranty claim for a new balanced wheel and i wouldn't accept anything less from them. you deserve to get what you paid for.
    there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

Well I just got the replacement wheel and other then being balanced from the factory where-as the original wasn't; I still have the same warped wheel! Is there any shimming that can be done to fix this issue?

Comment

Are you sure the shaft is not bent? Try placing the top wheel on the bottom (you said it ran true) and if it still wobbles, the problem is the shaft or bad/loose bearings, not the wheel. Also, try putting the old bottom "warped" wheel on the top and see if it wobbles. This will verify or eliminate the wheels as a problem.

Go
        Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

Cant do that because the mounting holes are different sizes. I did set a square up againts the drive shaft and spun it and it ran true. Im thinking there is something with the casting process and that maybe all the wheels run like this. Im going to try and shim it once the weather cools down and I can stand being in the garage for more then 15 minutes.

Originally posted by Gofor View Post
          Are you sure the shaft is not bent? Try placing the top wheel on the bottom (you said it ran true) and if it still wobbles, the problem is the shaft or bad/loose bearings, not the wheel. Also, try putting the old bottom "warped" wheel on the top and see if it wobbles. This will verify or eliminate the wheels as a problem.

Go

Comment

Well after careful studying of my issue and one replacement lower wheel that I didnt need I think I have found the issue. It seems that the bolt that holds the lower wheel on is not machined very well. The bolt head is not centered with the bolt shaft that is threaded nor is it particularly perpendicular to the head. This is causing my warped appearing lower wheel. So anyone know if any of the borg stores might have a left handed M8 bolt? im going to go searchin before I pay $8 bucks to ship 0.92 cents of replacement bolt.

Comment

Fastenal.

Comment

How would the bolt that holds the wheel in place cause it to run out? If it is running out...the shaft is bent, the wheel is bent or the hole in the wheel bored eccentric.

Comment

That's exactly what I thought! However several issues contribute to the off center and off perpendicular head of the bolt allow the wheel to become or appear warped on the shaft of the bandsaw.

One, the shaft to band saw wheel tolerance is rather large and you can physically move the wheel when mounted on the shaft.

Second, I mounted the wheel without the keyway 180 off from where the keyways line up and tightened the wheel down. Miraculously my wheel became warped 180 degrees off from where it originally was.

Third, as a result of the above I then checked run out by standing a square up against the shaft and spinning it. The shaft was dead straight and I couldn't find anything. Indicating the shaft was bent.

Fourth, I mounted the wheel on the shaft up tight against the bearing but without the bolt and spin it. Amaizingly it spins true!

Fifth I finally take a close look at the bolt and notice that I can see the head of the bolt being off in relation to the threaded shaft portion of bolt. As well as it not being quite perpendicular.

This leads me to believe that the sloppy tolerance in the shaft to wheel hole and the fact that the bolt does not seat flush on the wheel causes the wheel to mount in a warped fashion.

Originally posted by tomapple View Post
                  How would the bolt that holds the wheel in place cause it to run out? If it is running out...the shaft is bent, the wheel is bent or the hole in the wheel bored eccentric.

Comment

my guess is what your thinking is happening is the tolerances is sloppy and when you tighten the bolt down it pulls/ tilts the "wheel" out of true, is this what your saying?

I really doubt that replacing the bolt will change that, if that is the case,

you said the wheel runs true with out the screw, DOES it with the key way in place, if it does, use red locktight and "glue" the wheel on and forget the screw,

another method that may work on a situation like this, first you take a large back up hammer, it is an anvil, and place under the shaft, and then take a center punch and Punch a series of pricks in the shaft, turn the shaft and do it again about 15 degrees off, and then go clear around the shaft, keep the heavy hammer up tight so you do not bend the shaft punching it, what this does it displaces the metal on the shaft making the shaft larger, and then tap the wheel on the shaft and snug up the set screw, go slowly on the punching as you can over do it very easily,
                    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                    attributed to Samuel Johnson
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Yes this is what is happening. The replacement bolt should it have been machined correctly would help and correct this.

As far as tightening up the tolerances on the shaft I was thinking of removing the wheel and starting the machine and maybe spraying some sort of hard finish on the shaft rather then taking the chance of deforming it with a hammer and anvil.

Originally posted by BHD View Post
                      my guess is what your thinking is happening is the tolerances is sloppy and when you tighten the bolt down it pulls/ tilts the "wheel" out of true, is this what your saying?

I really doubt that replacing the bolt will change that, if that is the case,

Comment

If the hole in the wheel is sufficiantly oversize, you could shim it to remove the slop.

Comment

Working...
                        X