Which Wood?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which Wood?

I am going to be building grandfather clock after the new year and i am trying to pick the best wood for the job. cost isnt much of a concern. i love the aperance of cocobolo. is this a good choice for this project? i am also thinking of mahogany......

and as far as more inexpensive woods i am thinking poplar or oak.

i would love to do cocobolo but dont know much about the wood except i like how it looks

ed
    \"A SHIP OF WAR IS THE BEST AMBASSADOR\"<br /><br />OLIVER CROMWELL

my wife wanted a roll top desk out of cocobolo but the 16.00/bf price put it well out of my line. also i believe cocobolo can be hard to glue due to the oik in the wood, I made a grandfather clock in highschool 25+ years ago and plan to make 2 more befor i go to the woodshop in the sky, I dont think poplar would be appropriate as the wood may muffel the sound simmilar to pine i dont think the sound is right. I used blackwallnut on the first one I think cherry oak mahogany ash or most of the "hardwood" is fine its more important to match the decor of the room its going in also dont skimp on the works some of the mechanicels are poorly made in the bushings and gears, If swmbo ever agrees Hermalie(sp) has one with 9 tuned brass strike tubes (think pipeorgan) that i love but its about 1800. just for the works, good luck bill

Comment

definately wont skimp on the works. planned 1500-2000 for them alone
      \"A SHIP OF WAR IS THE BEST AMBASSADOR\"<br /><br />OLIVER CROMWELL

Comment

There isn't anything particularly challenging to the material of a tall clock, you can pick about anything that you like.

Cocobolo is Dalbergia Retusa, botanically. The Dalbergias are the Rosewoods. They are beautiful, heavy, hard, oily (as bvww pointed out, care is needed in gluing). One catch to be certain to know about, they are among the most toxic woods to work. If you wish to work it, please take a bit extra care with breathing protection and the like. Watch out for rashes or trouble breathing.

We have several small Cocobolo pieces in my house. My wife is from Costa Rica, it is more or less their "national wood".

Dave

Comment

Working...
        X