X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Balancing orange BS1400 bandsaw wheels

I bought one of the BS1400 orange bandsaws and have experienced some severe vibration. I have noticed that the wheels are extremely out of balance. I would like to balance the wheels but I am not quite sure what to use for a weight. I was thinking of something that would clip to the inside of the spokes. I don't want to drill or cut anything.

Could anyone suggest what they have done to balance the BS1400 wheels? Pictures would be helpful.

wbednarz@netzero.net

Not sure what method you are using to determine that the wheels are out of balance. A common problem is that they are out of pronation. I think that's the right word. Anyway, what I do is I used my thickness planer to make a block of wood thick enough so that when stick it to each end of my 4ft level. I cut the block in half then attach them to the level. The blocks will touch the two wheels if they are properly aligned. They need to be directly over one another. Adjusting these make a big difference. The books on bands show how to do this also. Secondly make sure the rubber grommets are between the motor the stand. Balancing the wheels is very tricky. If they are out I would contact Ridgid tech service about new ones.

Comment

It is very easy to tell that they are out of balance. Take the blade off. The top one spins back and forth until the heavy spot settles to the bottom. Take the dust brush off the bottom and watch the second one do the same.

I have heard others here complain about the wheels being out of balance and they balanced them themselves.

I think this is a common problem with the china junk. I could try again with them, but I would probably have the same results based on what I have heard here. It is unfortunate, because they claim to be precision balanced. I guess precision is a relative term these days.

I will look at the bandsaw book. I didn't quite understand your method of checking or fixing pronation.

If anyone has input on balancing BS14002 wheels, I would appreciate it. Thanks.

Comment

My Craftsman (made by Emerson) 12" saw had some caged nuts with a sheet metal clip on it to balance the wheels. They have been on there since I bought it 20 years ago in 1984. I recently re-balanced my BS wheels as I did a check and found they were out.

See this previous post of mine for how I re-balanced my wheels.

http://www.ridgid.com/cgi-bin/ultima...c;f=5;t=002083

Oh, the caged nuts should be available at most hardware stores for about $0.25 each.

[ 03-13-2004, 08:11 PM: Message edited by: Bob D. ]

Comment

I have watched these type posts for quite some time. I own a number of ridgid power tools and found them all to be a great values and good tool. My woodworking shop is mainly gray and orange. When it came to a bandsaw, I had to depart from the pack and go with Mini-Max. If you want to see a fine well balanced machine, check out a Mini-Max. Customer service is refreshing and you actually get to talk to a warm body who appreciated the folks who keep them in business. If you ever want to upgrade, take a look.
          Bob Sr.<br />Father of Bob-the-Builder

Comment

I would strongly agree with you on the customer service point for Mini Max, I filled out a request for info on there website expecting to get a form type email response well to my shock and delight the called me 1 hr and 35 minutes after I sent the message. The knowledgeable sales rep told me of new models that are coming out and is sending me the info in the mail. Very impressed so far.
            And by total contrast ...
            ** Laguna rant warning**
            I recently saw a Laguna BS at the Toronto Wood show and thought it was an awesome bandsaw, near the end of the show I wandered back to their both to inquire about how to get one in Canada as I knew they were an American company and was severely snubbed. I found their website and found that they indeed had Canadian distribution sites and ship there for free. I took the time to write them an email and a few days later they took the time to get back to me trying to explain and justify there actions, here is some of what they replied, they must have confused me with someone else but they can now be assured that they will not have me as a customer "I to wanted to have nothing to do with someone
            who was willing to put us at a level of simple sales pitch men when I had a
            great deal of customers who were waiting to pick up their machines that they
            had been waiting for. Quite often at the end of the show we have people who
            are looking just for deals believing that we are a desperate company looking
            to sell what ever we can, we are not that company." Maybe not today but if you check their own forum and see how many truly dissatisfied customers they have that day may well soon be upon them.

Comment

I have dreamed about having one of the 16" Minimax bandsaws. Unfortunately it is way out of my budget right now. A little work on the $299 Ridgid and I will hopefully be satisfied. It will never be close to one of those Minimax saws, but I don't expect that. The Minimax is orders of magnitude more in price. I would expect orders of magnitude in performance.

You must really enjoy that machine.

Comment

I wrap copper wire around the opposite spoke from the ofending heavy end. David Marks uses this method to if you look up his show (woodworks) on how to tune up a bandsaw at www.diynet.com

Originally posted by woodypa:
                I bought one of the BS1400 orange bandsaws and have experienced some severe vibration. I have noticed that the wheels are extremely out of balance. I would like to balance the wheels but I am not quite sure what to use for a weight. I was thinking of something that would clip to the inside of the spokes. I don't want to drill or cut anything.

Could anyone suggest what they have done to balance the BS1400 wheels? Pictures would be helpful.

wbednarz@netzero.net

Comment

That looks great. The wheels/tire is not true on mine either. I think that is part of the vibe problem. For kicks, I taped a 3/8" x 1" bolt to the opposite spoke (the top side after the wheel settled) and it wasn't enough to turn it much at all.

I called their support line today (Ryobi makes this saw). They said I should call a local hydraulics supply shop and ask for the new wheels because I would get replacement parts a lot quicker. Seems odd to me, and to the people at the hydraulics shop. Anyway, thanks for the link. http://www.diynet.com/diy/ww_shop/0,..._14445,00.html

I also bought a Ridgid lathe for $150 but haven't used it yet. I guess I shouldn't expect much.

Comment

It's a shame. You buy a new band saw, and you have to treat it like it's an ancient abused piece of crap. Well, I guess I just said it all.
                    BS1400 is a fix-it-uper from out of the box. Now what serious woodworker wouldn't buy that? I sure regret my investment, and all it's disasterous outcomes that has not been satisfied after nearly a year. Slap me hard, my own bad judgement in the decission. Never again!
                    John E. Adams<br /><a href=\"http://www.woodys-workshop.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.woodys-workshop.com</a>

Comment

I feel like I bought a Harbor Freight tool, but prettier.

Comment

I wadded up a lot of 12GA copper wire onto three adjacent spokes to balance the wheels. I couldn't believe how much was needed.

I also took the link belt off my TS and put it on the BS14002. It vibrated less, but still vibrated, and the start up and stop vibe was still pretty bad. I haven't tried truing the tires yet or stiffening the base. I pretty dissatisfied at this point though. This is not a bandsaw. It is a bandsaw starter kit that requires a lot of work and money invested to make it usable for fine woodworking. I am going to see if there are any grey ones left since I already bought the fence and riser kit. I have heard that the greys don't have these poor quality issues.

To anyone looking at a BS14002, buyer beware! I would hate to see anyone spend $350 to $400 on one of these.

Comment

Mini Max does make a nice 14" BS that can be had for a mere $745. It is model S14 has 8" resaw capacity 1.5 HP motor (110 or 220), balde sizes 1/8" to 1" and weighs in at 222 LBS. Consider how much you paid for the Ridgid and add to that the frustration and hours of 'fine tuning' I bet you are pretty close to the $745 figure.
                          The S14 is brand new and does not appear to be on their website yet but if you ask for information they will ship you a really nice package with a video and glossys.
                          Here a scan of the glossy

Comment

You are killing me with that thing. I am sure it doesn't ship for free. I would tack on at least another $150 for shipping. So lets say it is $900.

Ridgid 14" BS $300
                            Motor: 3/4 hp
                            Resaw: 12"
                            Fence: $35
                            Riser block: $35
                            Urethane tires: $60
                            Link belt: $20
                            Total: $450

Not really in the same ballpark, but the Minimax is obviously a much better saw. You get what you pay for. The Minimax will probably last for generations. The Ridgid will probably last too. It will just require a lot more tinkering.

Comment

I found lead tape to be a great option for balancing the bandsaw wheels. It is typically used to balance car tires. Its heavy, small, and self-adhesive. I prefer it to copper because it doesn't move at all and is easy to add or subtract weight. Check Auto-zone, Napa, Pep-boys or the like.

Comment

Working...
                              X