Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exhaust fan opinions please

Hey again,
    I started spraying by boy's bunk bed this last weekend and the one thing I didn't prepare for was the over spay that my garvity fed gun put out.I sectioned off part of my garage with aircraft cable running along the cieling and ran painter canvas tarps along it. I can just pull it back and tie it to the wall when it's not in use. It works well but there is nowhere for the overspray to go. any ideas on what I could use for an exhaust fan set up. The corner of the garage that I secioned off has a 18' door on one wall and the other wall is where my wood rack is so a wall mounted exhaust fan is out. What I thought about is raising the garage door about 2' and setting a box fan in there and encloseing either side of it with wood enclosures that I can just stack in the corner when I'm not using them. This is probably not real easy to envision is it. Any adeas??

Tuff, what I used is an old double sided squirrel cage blower that I salvaged from a furnace. I mounted it over top of the garage door.
    info for all: http://www.hoistman.com http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/index....wwtoolinfoforu --- "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me."

Comment

Tuff,
      Michael Dresdner, a professional finisher, illustrates the construction of a portable booth similar to what you described in a Fine Woodworking video that he has done. I can recall the details, but he duct tapes three sections--a back and 2 angles sides, of cardboard together and puts a top on the fixture. In the back piece of cardboard, he cuts an opening for a small fan with dust filters taped to it. He sprays into, or toward the fan, which exhausts the fumes out the garage door. You have to have some sort of "breeze" behind you as you spray--an open window or maybe a small fan (one that won't interfere with the spray.
      I've never built one, but I plan to do so this spring. Of course, you could built a more sophisicated version by using plywood and fixing the fan in the rear panel. This doesn't work for me because I can't afford the space to store it. The cardboard and duct tape version simply folds up. If you're interested in the video, it's one of the 20 minute ones that run around $12, you can buy it at www.taunton.com I think the title is Spray Finishing.
      I have also seen another version by Jeff Jewitt. It's either in his book Great Wood Finishes or an article he's done in one the ww mags.

Comment

Tuff,
        The video is Spray Basics and it's $11.95.

Comment

Sounds like you are describing the construction of a bomb or a flame thrower at a minimum. Careful what type of fan motor you choose when spraying volitile materials. It should be a sealed brushless model

Comment

Right, the above sources describe the type of fan, explosion proof if spraying flammables. I'm not sure, but I don't think the fan has to be explosion prove if spraying waterbase materials.

Comment

To spray flammables, you definitely need an exhaust fan similar to the 16" fan found at www.sprayshield.com When you get to this website, look to the left and click on exhaust fans. The fan sells for $378, not cheap. By the way, I found (bottom of clothes hamper) my copy of Jeff Jewitt's book, Great Wood Finishes. He advises an explosion proof exhaust fan even with water-base, something about dust build-up. I'm hoping that I can get by without the $378 fan on water-based finishes. From the book it's not clear if this safety issue applies to just spray exhaust fans or if it's a generally one that applies to any fan in an area where dust collects. I don't think the fan Dresnder uses is explosion proof.

Comment

Working...
              X