Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3612 shopping experience

Hi gang,
    I'm new to this forum, and still in the 'shopping' phase of my shop buildup. I just thought I'd share a shopping experience I had recently. I'm in the market for my first Contractor's saw, and have been looking at several saws. Last weekend I stopped in at one of two local woodworkers warehouse locations in town, to look at a Delta and a Jet for comparison purposes. Nice salesman, informative visit, and decided not to consider the Jet, tho the Delta is in the running still. On my way home I stopped in at the HD right next door. This isn't the closest HD to my home, but I 'thought' that HD = HD. Not so, The associate who came and helped me was well informed, and quite helpful. They didn't have a 3612 set up, because they didnt' have the proper fence for it. I did get to look over a saw, however, and I definitely won't be getting the 2412, don't like that fence system at ALL.
    My usual HD, which is about 5 minutes from work, and about 20 minutes from home (just about 5 minutes closer than the first one I mentioned) Does have a 3612 on display. I've stopped in and looked it over, and like what I saw (pardon the pun). The staff there, however... wasn't able to tell me much about the saw, other than price and availability.
    I presume that setup skills of those assembling the saws vary greatly, and that the model I saw was not quite set up properly. I liked the fence and the rip capacity, but the fence 'caught' when I tried to move it back towards the blade from the right hand extension wing. I also found the stand to be a bit wobbly, but I'm presuming that it wasn't set up well, as it seems substantial otherwise.
    I don't have my shop built yet, so purchase will wait for a) warmer weather and b) tax return to come in, but I do think the 3612 will wind up in my new woodshop/barn.
    Ned<br /><br />Madison Woodsmith<br /><br />Masonry: 2B1ASK1

I had the same promblems with my ts2424. I love my saw. You'll like the ts3612. It's worth the money.
    Andy B.

Comment

Ned
      Welcome to the forum. I think you will find that HD does a poor job of setting up any table saw. I have the 2424 and it's a good saw. You will not be disppointed at all with the 3612. They have made upgraded to the fence system from the 2424 which I understand are well done. Good Luck! Dave

Comment

Ned--consider yourself lucky---the two nearest HDs to me, STILL don't have a 3612 on display! Personally, if Rigid is selling a lot of these saws, they can thank this forum and other pleased owners, on other forums for selling them to new buyers. Bunch of us just convinced two guys on Woodnet to buy the saw. I sure know the sales aren't, on average, due to "knowledgable" HD people, and, in my area's case, certainly not due to great displays---both of the 2424s have broken fence handles.
        Dave

Comment

Andy and Davex2,
          It comes down to best saw for my budget, the width of cut, left tilt, comes with the mobility I'm looking for.
          I came here to shop talk from another forum, and am a self-proclaimed IGIT (for those who know me there as Ned86xj (meant to do that here, but haven't managed to change over)
          Thanks for the warm welcome!

Ned

Comment

I bought my 2424 before I knew of this forum. The display models I saw in three HD's were not assembled well. I did spot several things that were not tightened, so bought the saw anyway. I am extremely pleased with it!!!!
            Mac<P>Problems are opportunities in disguise

Comment

I would like to comment on technical knowledge of hardware employees be it HD, Ace, True value or any other. The average hardware employee doesn't understand the difference between a cap screw and a lag screw. If you are going to HD for good prices you'll probably be a satisfied customer but if you are looking for technical info, your better off searching the net.

Comment

I certainly won't rely solely on HD for tech advice, and I'm doing my homework now, long before I make my purchase. Thanks tho, for the advice and I'm taking notes.

Comment

Ned,

The 3612 would be an excellent choice in the price range. I personally own 10 Ridgid pieces of machinery and I have little fault with any of them. Some could use some upgrades, but who's couldn't?
                  Ridgid has an excellent online system for accessories and customer service. An 800 number with tech support that actually knows what's what.
                  You have the whole country at your fingertips here on this forums with ages of experience and knowledge. And I just have to say it...one more time. The excellence in warrenty, Lifetime. And with Jake and the rest of Ridgid's experts, you always get answers.
                  The manuals for setting up the machinery and maintaining it are highly detailed. And if you ever miss place them, they are downloadable from Ridgid, with all updates.
                  There is no better online community than here, that is more than willing to help, answer questions and give advice.
                  All I can saw is, Welcome to the World of Ridgid!
                  A step you'll never regret.
                  John E. Adams<br /><a href=\"http://www.woodys-workshop.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.woodys-workshop.com</a>

Comment

Ned, OU Woody said what we probably all feel. The support given by Ridgid is top notch.

I recently had a problem with my fence and Jake (Ridgid employee) told me he would have a new rail on it's way. Before I chose to accept his offer, I did some checking and was able to fix the problem with some shims. Even though I didn't need to take him up on his offer, just knowing that I will get good customer service makes investing in another Ridgid product that much easier.

you won't be disappointed in your saw purchase as the saw is well built, sturdy, accurate, and easy to adjust. I would suggest though that you go to Wood online once to purchase your saw and buy the plans for the folding outfeed table. I'm just completing mine. With the extra support, you'll never know you bought a contractors saw. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Woody, Mike,
                      At this point, I'm pretty well sold. I'm on 'hold' at the moment for lack of a shop to put it in. this is my 'year of the shop', where I will be building my small (some might say tiny) woodshop. Barring a lottery win (hey, you never know!) I doubt I'd have the $ to build both the shop and buy more than one or two major tools this year, without fixing a budget and sticking to it.
                      the Lifetime warranty is definitely a strong influence. The support here, as well as over on Woodnet forums is great, sucha valuable resource that I would be foolhardy not to use it. THanks again for your advice/encouragement.

Comment

Ned, I suggest using a garage and buying more tools. You would be amazed how much you can stack along the walls and still get the cars in. And for the cost of a separate building you can buy a lot of tools!

We can pull the cars out and setup in 5 minutes, and can put the tools away, clean up, and put the cars to bed in 15-20 minutes.

Comment

Charlie,
                          wellll considering that I'd LOVE a garage shop, the barn is the best alternative I can come up with. We already converted the garage into living space.... really small house to begin with, and relatively large family living here. (myself, the LOML 3 kids and mother-in-law)Good thought tho.
                          Yes, I could certainly buy at Least a cabinet saw with what the building will cost me. Won't do me much good, however. I'm strictly a fair weather (and daylight) woodworker now, as I've built all of my projects thusfar in my side yard.
                          So far my three kids' beds are still standing!

Comment

*BUMP*
                            he he he, actually just an update. The LOML announced this weekend that she wants to upgrade our kitchen this spring/summer, so the 3612 will be THE tool that I buy to help accomplish this!
                            I might also manage to snag a bigger router for making raised panels. My nice 'new' 693VS is a fine router, but it won't turn the big panel raising bits safely.
                            Thanks for all of your tips.

[ 02-16-2003, 03:51 PM: Message edited by: ned86xj ]

Comment

Working...
                            X