X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Putting a new fence on my R4511

Here is a pic or two of the Delta T2 that I started installing last night.

I removed old fence and rails and found that two bolts lined up on my saw, so I went ahead and put the tube on to see how everything would line up, figuring I might have to re drill some holes.

From previous posts on this site I knew that the tube would be just a tad high for some one who uses cross cut sled, but I dedicate my saw for ripping and use an SCMS for crosscuts.

So the tube height is okay for me, and I am going to leave just the two bolts for now and see how everything goes. If I need to drill out the other two, that won't be much of an issue, but for right now everything fits tight and snug, so I put on the fence and adjusted it to miter and blade.

I can use my miter gauge if really had to, but I've only used it once or twice so no biggie for me.

The whole assembly is quite robust and the fence is very smooth. It is off of zero on the tape as you can see in this pic by 15/16, so rather than go through all that shifting and marking and drilling I will re position the tape or if I ruin it I will buy a new one and set it to the zero mark that I indexed on the table and tube.

The last modification will be to shave about 3/16 off the left nylon screw/glide pad as they give you a ton of screw length and lowering the T bar to glide just above the rail and below the table with adequate clearance for both would put the head of the screw too high and just above table level. This should be an easy mod to make and I will probably order a new screw or two just to have on hand. This last pic when I was adjusting the fence to the blade may show the left screw that I am talking about.

So after an hours worth of work so far I just have the screw left to fix, and then need to drill and tap the bottom of the front rail for the power switch and that ground strip and see if I can either reposition the tape or get a new one and mount it.

I was prepared for a lot more of an involved install, knock on wood.

Re: Putting a new fence on my R4511

I might have done just the 2 bolt holes like you if the second hole had lined up better. I could get that 2nd screw threaded in okay but once the angle of the countersink started into the angle iron, you could tell the centerlines of each just didn't match up. Thought if I forced it, I might crack the granite threads.

I took out both of those nylon screws when I started using the fence but started marking up the tube so I put them back in to acceptable depth and cut the left one off with a razor blade.

What a joy to be able use this saw with a decent fence. Most people report no problems with the stock 2 piece unit but mine was a real pain to keep aligned.

Once you put a ZCI and one of Lee's low profile riving knifes on this unit, you'll have a very nice ripping machine.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.D View Post
      I might have done just the 2 bolt holes like you if the second hole had lined up better. I could get that 2nd screw threaded in okay but once the angle of the countersink started into the angle iron, you could tell the centerlines of each just didn't match up. Thought if I forced it, I might crack the granite threads.

I took out both of those nylon screws when I started using the fence but started marking up the tube so I put them back in to acceptable depth and cut the left one off with a razor blade.

What a joy to be able use this saw with a decent fence. Most people report no problems with the stock 2 piece unit but mine was a real pain to keep aligned.

Once you put a ZCI and one of Lee's low profile riving knifes on this unit, you'll have a very nice ripping machine.
      Mr. D- the bolt on the left wing on mine has a very slight touch of skew in the countersink, but not much, the other one on the main table lined up just right.

I will probably re visit those tonight, and if needed will slightly enlarge the base hole a hair.

I have a Lee Craft ZCI, just not on at the moment. Haven't tried one of those low profile riving knives.

My OEM fence every time I adjusted to the blade would either jump to the left a little or right a little, never could just get it rock solid so after reading your posts I jumped on the T2 to try it.

Comment

Thanks for the pics

Comment

A year later and have not had to adjust my fence settings. I do check at the beginning of a project and boards still coming out straight as an arrow.

This upgrade to your R4511 makes it a nice saw to use.

Comment

Working...
          X