New fence on R4511 pic

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New fence on R4511 pic

I put the Incra fence on mine last fall. Wow is it sweet.

Comment

OK, I've decided I want to redrill the front angle to lower it an 1/8" so that my miter guage clears the front rail and so that I can bolt it into all 4 holes. I need a 90 degree countersink bit to match the bevel of the heads of the bolts that came with the R4511 that thread into the inserts in the granite. However, I can only find 82 degree countersink bits at any of my local stores. Anybody got a good source for a 90 degree countersink bit that's good for drilling into steel angle iron and that won't break the bank since I only need it to countersink these 4 holes?

Or would I be better off getting different bolts that have an 82 degree head angle?

- Jay

Comment

So I ended up finding some similar bolts with 82 degree heads at the local ACE hardware store. But when I got home I realized that the heads were then too tall. So in the end I drilled out and countersunk the holes using my 82 degree countersink, but used the original 90 degree bolts that came with the saw. Once I got it all back together, everything is straight and level and my miter guage clears the top of the front rail by about 1/32". This also lowered the fence to where it now rides only about 1/8" off the top of the table. It was a little higher in back, but I just trimmed down the glide block that rides on the rear rail on the bandsaw, and now it's (more or less) parallel with the table front to back. I added a new measuring tape I picked up at Woodcraft, and I'm good to go.

One mistake I made without thinking it through was that when I drilled the new holes for mounting the front rail, I shifted the rail a bit to the left, and now I can only get out to 29 1/2" from the blade before I reach the far end of the rail. I suppose if I find myself needing the extra 1/2" at some point I can pull the rail and redrill all the holes again shifting the rail the other direction. But I'll cross that bridge later.

The original fence that came with the saw also works on the new rails, so I might add sacrificial fence sides to it and use it when doing tasks like cutting rabbets and stuff with the dado blade.

Comment

Great upgrade

Comment

Working...
          X