X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New fence on R4511 pic

This did not take long to install and basically longest part was waiting on the new Starrett measuring tape strip to arrive.

After checking alignment to the blade and fence I put the tape on and it is dead on at the blade all the way to 30". This was well worth it, and it is a really solid feeling fence that is very easy to adjust and glides so smooth on the rails. Happy.

Re: New fence on R4511 pic

I have a 4511 and I have decided to get a T2 fence. The Ridgid fence just moves to much for me when I try to clamp it down and I'm tired of trying to adjust it. Except for the fence I like the saw.
    Could you give a description of what you did to make it fit on your saw? Will the mitre slots work ok with the new t2 fence mounted? From the pictures it looks like it would.
    Thanks

Comment

jrowland- My first and third bolt hole lined up pretty darn close on both the front and back rail when I first put them on, so I went ahead and put the tube on to see if I was even going to need to drill new holes.

The rails were snugged up nice and tight, so when I put the tube on all I had to do was line it up and tighten down.

So this works for me for now, but I really just use my saw for ripping, so my install would not work for everybody.

As it is now:
      my tube does interfere with sliding the miter gauge in from the front of the saw. I knew that before I started, but no biggie to me.

I had to trim the left glide pad screw on the T bar so that it runs nearly flush with the top surface of the T bar. Took a few seconds with a razor blade.

The fence itself sits about 3/16 above the table, and I usually like about 1/16 clearance, but the faces seem like they can be lowered some so I will look into that later. Really though as seldom as I cut 1/4 inch panels for case work backing, I could just clamp a board to the fence for that.

So I will try it like this for a few weeks and see if I want or need to make any changes. There are several other install options for you to consider.

First- you can use the original factory front and rear rail, but drill new holes to mount the tube, 5 holes I think, and then shim the tube up for the fence to clear the table.

Or you can clamp the old rail to the T2 rail as a template and drill the 4 holes. If you do that you can drill a little higher than the stock holes in the Delta front rail so that your tube rides about 1/16 lower, and that should clear the miter gauge so it will slide in from the front.

For me, if I do anything else at all I would drill the remaining two holes on the front rail only, using my original as a template and all that would get me is some extra support.

Sorry to make such a long reply, but whichever way you decide to install, it is worth the effort. This fence is like night and day to the OEM fence.

No flexing, did I say no flexing, no jumping to left or right, and solid as a rock and really easy to adjust. Got mine from Tools Plus, and ordered the Starrett replacement tape from Highland Woodworking, though lots of places carry adhesive tapes, I am just partial to Starett stuff.

Hope that helps if you didn't fall asleep reading this windy reply. Good luck.

Comment

CATO, thanks for your reply. I just need to get the fence and spend some time mounting it. The OEM fence just aggravates me every time I use it. I think I will be a lot happier with the T2.
        Thanks

Comment

I just purchased and installed the T2. Very nice fence. I thought it would be a pain to install but it really wasn't so bad. As mentioned in the previous post I re-drilled about a 1/16" lower to clear the miter slot. I also needed to drill two holes in the back rail. Two lined up. Worth the effort!

Comment

Paul, I think you will find this fence a nice addition to your saw. The accuracy, very solid construction, and glides so smooth on the rails.

I still have mine as I installed it and may drill some holes and lower it that 1/16 later on, but I am able to use my miter gauge for crosscuts so not a biggie for now.

At one point I was considering upgrading my saw, just because the OEM fence was just not what it should be.

I'm glad now that I got this fence, and its a heck of a bang for the buck. Really makes the saw a complete saw now.

Comment

Cato,

I've been happy with the saw and fence combo. The only issues I find now are that the fence sits a little too high off the table but that's only an issue when working with 1/4" material or less. In that instance I simply strap on an auxillary fence. The other issue is with the fence adjustment screws to make the fence parallel with the table. They sit up to high. That is to say they are sitting higher than the table top. If i screw them down so that they are lower than the table then the fence sits even higher. Oh, well. It's always something. Still happy though!

Comment

Paul,
                I also clamp an auxillary on the fence for thin stuff like 1/4 ply for case backers. Works well and don't have to do it very often, so not a bother to me.

As to those height adjustment screws, only the one on the left side was a bother to me as it sat too proud, so I adjusted the fence height where I wanted it with the left side nylon screw flipped upside down so the screw head rides on the rail, then I trimmed the protruding top threads flush with a razor blade.

Works great, and you can order extra set of screws from Delta if you ever need them.

Comment

Great idea Cato! I'll give it a try tomorrow. Thanks for the help!

Comment

There's a sale this weekend on these Delta fences. I just ordered mine.

Comment

Originally posted by JayTalbott View Post
                      There's a sale this weekend on these Delta fences. I just ordered mine.
                      It arrived today. I probably won't get a chance to install it right away, but I did unbox it, and can say right off the bat that I know it's going to be a big improvement over the stock fence.

It dawned on me the other day that I'm going to have to re-do how my outfeed table attaches to my saw when I install this fence, as it currently attaches to the rear rail for the stock fence. I'm reconsidering the design of my outfeed table anyway, so changing out my fence might cause me to start all over.

What does everybody do with their stock fence after installing the Delta parts? Will the stock fence work on the Delta rails?

- Jay

Comment

Jay, My stock fence is under the work table for now, until I can think of a use for it.

I think I tried the stock fence on my delta rails, and seems I remember it ran too low too work but I could be wrong on that.

Regardless once you get it installed the difference in the new fence is so drastic the thought of ever using the old one will not be an issue.

Comment

i see two people here who have replaced their fences. in another thread there is someone looking to buy a stock fence for a ts-3650, so if anyone reading this has a ts3650 fence they want to part with there is someone on here looking to buy (not me).
                          ---------------
                          Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                          ---------------
                          “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                          ---------
                          "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                          ---------
                          sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

I finally got a chance to install the new fence rails yesterday, and boy, what a difference compared to the stock design.

A few comments:

1. For the most part, it just bolted right on using the two holes on each angle iron that mated up (or mated up close enough) to bolt it to the table.

2. I was able to get the rear rail installed without it interfering with the miter slots. Tip: Use the original bolt and lock washer, but not the flat washer. If you include the flat washer, as you tighted down the bolts it causes the rail to move higher, to where it starts to block the miter slots.

3. I had to cut down the nylon adjustment screws on top of the new fence where it rides on the rail because they were above the height of the table.

4. Even after loosening the sides of the fence and shifting them as low as I could get them, the fence is still about 1/4" above the table. I haven't decided if this is OK or if I need to make some further modifications so the fence is closer to the table top. I added a couple washers under the block that rides on the rear rail, which at least made it (more or less) an even gap front to back.

5. The two faces of the fence are not quite parallel. If I adjust the fence so one side is perfectly perpendicular to the table, the other side is off a little bit. Not a real biggie since I so rarely use the fence on the left side of the blade, but noteworthy nonetheless.

6. The original rule was off by approximately an inch, so I removed it and I need to get a replacement.

But, the fence is dead on parallel to the blade and miter slots, no matter where I put it along the rail - something that was simply unachievable with the stock design.

Comment

Congrats Jay, I have enjoyed using the T2 and found it night and day compared to the stock fence.

I got the Starrett tape to replace the Delta one as mine was off about an inch as well.

Before I pulled off the old tape I marked a pencil line down it for alignment, then marked the rail at the zero point with the fence against the blade.

I ordered 2 of the tapes in case I screwed up when I attached it, but it only took a couple of minutes to install. Think I got the tapes at Highland or Rockler, but like other Starrett products it is a high quality piece.

Comment

Working...
                              X