saw purchase

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• saw purchase

I am in the process of buying a contractor saw and it is really bothering me. The arbor prob on the 3650 made up my mind. I am looking at the Grizzly G0444Z and the Delta 36-680. I am finally able to upgrade from my bench top model. I plan on doing alot of dados so unless a new model is out, I have to look somewhere else.

Thanks for sharing, we all feel much better now.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the "John" and renamed it the "Jim". I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

Comment

Not sure if you're looking for input between those two saws, but the Z has a stronger motor and a better fence than the 680 IMO. The Griz is only available through mail order though, and requires 220 or a 30 amp 110 circuit....never a free lunch. Both should do a great job.

Comment

Gee badgerdave, no offense but I thought that's what this forum was for, sharing ideas and opinions about tools etc.

Comment

Gee badgerdave, no offense but I thought that's what this forum was for, sharing ideas and opinions about tools etc.

Comment

Well board in MN., it is. I thanked him for sharing his opinion, he offered no ideas, and then I voiced an opinion. I also offered no ideas.

I don't know about you but I'm totally bored with this whole arbor issue. It seems like thats all thats been going on around here for the last few weeks. It's a shame that it happened but it did. Ridgid is dealing with it so it's time to move on to more productive issues.

I also see absolutely nothing positive in a thread from a first time poster announceing that they are not going to buy a 3650 because of the arbor problem. Who cares! We already know about the problem, tell us something we don't know. Whats the point? He didn't ask for opinions on the Griz or Delta saw, he just announced that he was looking at them. If he was interested in opinions and asked for them I'm sure that many here would be happy to provide them.
            I decided to change calling the bathroom the "John" and renamed it the "Jim". I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

Comment

Just a newb to this. Sorry I did not clarify for everyone. I was looking for some input on some saws. It is one of the most important purchases in the shop. Just want to be sure. Any input will help alot, even on the 3650.

Comment

First of all, let me say, "Amen" to badgerdave. I agree 100% with your comments. As many of you know, I have been very involved with these now famous "arbor forums". Here is what I observed:
                1. There was a problem with the arbor.
                2. Strong and others noticed the problem.
                3. We brought the problem to RIDGID's attention.
                4. In a timely way, RIDGID has begun to ship the new arbor; soon, we presume they will include the arbor on the new machines. No, they do not have enough yet to go around, but they will get more in soon and ship them out no charge.
                5. Putting in the arbor yourself does not void the warranty.

Guys, I agree with Badger. We came, we saw, we are getting new arbors. Let's move on for goodness sake. I like discussion and rhetoric as much as the next guy, but what more can we say about this issue?

Dan, to answer your question about the "best" saw, if you are asking for advice, here's my 2 cents worth:

The RIDGID is a very fine saw, especially for under $600. I looked at the same saws as you and others did before making my purchase, and there are some fine ones - Grizzly, Delta, Shop Fox, General, Jet, etc, etc. I liked the fit and finish of the RIDGID, the Herc-U-Lift (great lift) the packaging and straightforward assembly, 12" cast iron extensions, easy on-off blade guard assembly, to name some reasons. And I actually like the fence. Once it is calibrated, it has held its specs well, and it clamps down true and solid every time.

So that's my input. Find a saw that you like, and learn to make it an extension of your work. A good woodworker can make beautiful projects with any of these saws.

I'd suggest that the Griz 044Z is a very nice saw, and we RIDGID owners are happy for you to share your thoughts with all of us here at the RIDGID forum. And I would suggest that you also try the Grizzly Forum on Yahoo - except for one thing. The fellow who started it has shut it down due to lack of participation.

Well, thank your lucky stars we live in America - free speech for all. I'm just hoping we start spending a little more time sharing ideas, techniques and projects, and a little less time on the politics of big business in corporate America. I may lose some friends here for these views, but that's the way I see it.

Amen, Badger Dave.

[ 01-19-2005, 09:48 PM: Message edited by: Sawdust Steve ]
                There are three kinds of people in this world - those who can count, and those who can't.

Comment

Dan,

All three of contractor saws that you listed have both positive and negative points. Generally speaking, any one of the three will serve you well. The Griz has the most power of the three with its 2HP motor but the RIDGID's motor is TEFC and I'm not sure whether the other two are or aren't. Fence quality, IMO, is about equal and all three include a junk miter guage. Out of the box, the RIDGID wins the rip capacity battle with its ability to rip 36" right side of the blade. All three have CI wing extension so that feature is a wash. The Herc-U-Lift mobile base that comes with the RIDGID saw clearly gives RIDGID the edge on the mobility issue. Some have voiced the opinion that the RIDGID's aluminum trunion may not be as strong as the cast iron trunions offered by other manufacturers but so far those opinions have proven to be nothing more than conjecture. I have yet to see a single report of a RIDGID trunion failure.

As I said before, all three are good saws and you probably can't make a bad decision here. However, if it were me, my choice would be a used RIDGID 3612.

Oh yeah, even if you do choose the Griz or the Delta, stick around here.

Comment

Originally posted by badgerdave:
                    Fence quality, IMO, is about equal and all three include a junk miter guage.
                    Hi Dave - I just wanted to clarify that the Griz comes with a cast iron miter gauge with a machined face and adjustable bar to take up slop, which is a step up from most....it may or may not have a more accurate protractor. The Griz's motor is TEFC capacitor start....don't know about the Delta.

I agree that all three fences should work well, but I definitely have some concerns about that plastic handle becoming a casualty some day. Since I've seen them MIA in stores, it could happen in a shop too. Then there's rail strength, and there's also the debate about front/rear locking vs t-square that's been discussed. The industry standard strongly leans toward the t-square Biesemeyer design. Also, Ridgid does not currently offer a 52" rip option which allows you to cut to the center of a 4x8 sheet. Just some of my opinions and observations.

The Herc lift is great, but a mobile base can be made or purchases starting at around $20. Dan will have to decide which features are most important to him. It's sounds like he doesn't want any hassles with his new saw and I think his reservations are merited at this point in time.

[ 01-20-2005, 02:02 PM: Message edited by: hewood ]

Comment

Nicely done Steve and totally agree with you about all that you wrote here, The 3650 is a very fine saw, for 600.00 and with the minor arbor problem, with dadoing i invite any of you guys outhere to my house and check out my kitchen cabinets, enterainment center, bathroom vanity, or the first few pieces of our new bedroom furniture that was made with this arbor problem, and show me just how bad this problem is. A few of us here took it upon ourselfs to spearhead the problem with ridgid and got the problem taken care of even when someone said that Ridgid said they will not take care of the problem with a little pressure they did and I for one am very happy that the issue is being resolved and i just wanted to give a big thanks out to STRONG33, badgerdave, Sawdust Steve and even daveferg for his knowledge of woodworking equipt.Thank you guys, this could not have been done without some dedicated people and hard work. and now just my 2 cents--- you want to by a ridgid- great, come here and complain about it, you want to buy a delta,griz,jet,pm, great, go there and complain about them or praise them, but do not buy one of them and come here a praise it and put down ridgid specially when you do not even own a ridgid( not directed at you Daveferg, your input is valuable here). now lets just hope this thread dies.

Keith J Pettersen
                      Just my opinion

Comment

Originally posted by keith911:
                        ... and now just my 2 cents--- you want to buy a ridgid- great, come here and complain about it. You want to buy a delta,griz,jet,pm, great, go there and complain about them or praise them, but do not buy one of them and come here a praise it and put down ridgid specially when you do not even own a ridgid... now lets just hope this thread dies.
                        Keith J Pettersen
                        Gee Keith, don't you think it's just a bit dictatorial of you to tell others what they can and can't do on a public forum? No one violated any website policies, and the last time I looked it's not your site. Differing opinions are one of the valuable attributes of a site like this, regardless of who sponsors it, and regardless of what product a poster owns. Constructive or critical comments about any tool aren't necessarily a blatant slam. They can often be a means of feedback to companies. The fact that a manufacturer might read those comments increases the possibility that the manufacture might make some improvements as a result of them.

Good for you and others who took on the arbor issue. But shame on you for being an cyber bully to those who's opinions don't echo yours. And I can't believe you expected this thread to die with closing sentiments like those you posted.

[ 01-20-2005, 03:31 PM: Message edited by: Knot Me ]

Comment

Thanks for everyones input. I learned alot from my first post.(choose wording wisely) I hope to contribute in the future.

Comment

Stated by DAN351: "I learned alot from my first post.(choose wording wisely)"

LOL, Stick around Dan, you won't get chastised forever. I just got an email from Delta announcing some new hybrid saws, I have no idea what the pricing may be but you may want to check them out. Here is a link to their website.

http://www.deltamachinery.com/deltagram/delta.html

Woodslayer

Comment

adios all
                              Just my opinion

Comment

Working...
                              X