No announcement yet.

Moving Forward

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mark IV, a lot closer than I. I'm just north of Dallas, the closest General dealer is in San Antonio, call that right around 300 miles away. I don't have the biggest problem ordering from a dealer that far away, but that's the closest service too. Not so good for a premium priced product.

It's a shame, too. General's "real" (Canadian made) line is world-class, and their imports (General International), from seeing them at the big woodworking show, look extremely good as well. But for whatever reason, they haven't established a good presense in the "lowest province".

I just heard yesterday (unconfirmed) that Wilke has a company wide week-long vacation this week. If y'all don't hear promptly from them, that would be the cause.

Woody, along with the Laguna line, you may wish to consider MiniMax's bandsaws. They are being rated very well in comparison with the LTs. If you're looking for a larger machine (24"+), I recommend looking hard at Agazanni as well.

Dave

Comment

Dr. Arbuckle,

Have you had a chance to look at a Bridgewood BW10LTS? If you have, any impressions?
      Patrick

Comment

Afraid I haven't, Patrick. When I was at IWF, the only machines from Bridgewood I looked at were the bandsaws, and them only briefly.

I've heard rumors that Wilke has a photograph of that saw with it's top taken off, sitting next to a Powermatic 66, that is very complimentary to the Bridgewood. Haven't seen the pic myself though.

Dave

Comment

Dave,

I saw these pictures on WoodNet a while back and Gator also had copies that he forwarded to me...

PM66:

BW10LTS:

It looks impressive and for ~$800 less. It looks like the PM66 only has two belts...

edit: If anyone has pictures of a Unisaw and/or Grizzly innards that would be great to see also.

[ 07-01-2003, 02:55 PM: Message edited by: Patrick A ]
          Patrick

Comment

Patrick----great-----certainly telling pictures!
            Dave

Comment

My goodness, those are very large trunnions indeed!

Powermatic 66 (at least the 3hp ones, not sure of the 5hp) do have twin-belt drives. They work just fine, don't let that bother you.

It isn't a great picture compared to those two, but here's a picture of the inside of a Grizzly G1023SL, from their web site.

Dave

Comment

This comment was in the e-mail that Wilke sent me with the pictures:

-------------------------------------------------
                As you can see in the photos the trunion supports are much larger then the PM-66. The 45 and 90 degree stops are also located on the cast iron trunion supports. The PM-66 uses the sheet metal cabinet as the 45 and 90 degree stop.
                -------------------------------------------------

gator

Comment

Dave A;

Thanks for the input on Agazanni. Actually, I don't think I've seen that name before. The Mini Max machine has also caught my eye!

I have a couple routes to take actually. Add a little to the shop, add a machine or two. Or wait till the summer of 2008, and dive in head first again like I did last year. I'm leaning towards the dive in. That's just my way of doing things.

I'll be sure to share, and ask opinions along with my own research when it gets closer to "Loan" time. The units I purchase from now own, will be passed on to the next generation. And I want to make sure parts, Cust. Ser. and upgrades are available for that next generation.

Thanks again to Gator for forwarding his Email of pics posted above. It surely enlightened me on some things as I studied the photo's for my future cabinet saw purcase.

And thanks to everyone for thier imput!
                  John E. Adams<br /><a href=\"http://www.woodys-workshop.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.woodys-workshop.com</a>

Comment

Working...
                  X