X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TS2412 Arbor Runout

I purchased a used TS2412 with Stamped Steel wings off Craigslist for 160.00. I was excited the saw looked good, after running it at home I noticed the blade wobbe. I Purchased a dial indicator and the runout on the arbor was .005". I have located a replacement arbor assembly and second bearing for approx $100.00, it is an additional $50.00 to have a ridgid authorized service center switch out the abror. At this point I would have over $300.00 invested in this saw. Is this worth it, or should I just trash the saw and not buy used tools anymore.

Re: TS2412 Arbor Runout

Oh God........a math problem. This is where I usually mess up. .005" is what, something like 1/128 of an inch or something thereabouts? I would just save that $150 for the replacement arbor/labor and buy some wood to cut up on your new to you saw. I know that .005" is pretty acceptable for checking the blade for parallel to the miter slot so I'm wondering if it also would not be within normal tolerance for arbor run out also.
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Originally posted by BadgerDave View Post
      Oh God........a math problem. This is where I usually mess up. .005" is what, something like 1/128 of an inch or something thereabouts? I would just save that $150 for the replacement arbor/labor and buy some wood to cut up on your new to you saw. I know that .005" is pretty acceptable for checking the blade for parallel to the miter slot so I'm wondering if it also would not be within normal tolerance for arbor run out also.
      I don't know if that would be acceptable or not. .005 at the arbor is going to be much more out at the diameter of the blade. Something in the .010 to .015 neighborhood. So you are looking at maybe 1/64 of wobble...

Comment

The .005 runout is at the arbor, this is amplified to the end of the blade. It visibly wobbles about 1/16 to 1/8th of an inch when you rotate by hand.

Comment

See, I told you that math messes me up. Now I think you have a very difficult decision to make. If you spend that additional $150 on the 2412 you'll end up with a usable but very basic contractor style table saw. The 2412 was the first offering of Ridge Tool/Emerson after Sears and Emerson parted ways. Subsequent models, 2424, 3612 and the TTI/OWT 3650 and 3660 versions had many upgrades that the 2412 doesn't have. After already having spent $160 it would be hard for me not spend the money to fix it up but I doubt if you'd ever get anywhere near your investment back if you ever decided to sell it. Like I said, a difficult decision as either way you're going to end up spending more money. FWIW, around these parts a nice used contractor style saw in good condition can be had for $250 - $350 depending on the particular saw. Even less many times if it's a Craftsman.
          Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

i also have a 2412. these gray model tools carry a lifetime warranty regardless of who owns the tool. i would contact an authorized ridgid repair facility for a covered repair. at $160, that saw, if it's in good condition, is a great tool. there is very little you will encounter that the 2412 cannot handle, once set up properly. if the warranty route doesn't work , check out this thread on another forum:

http://www.forums.woodnet.net/ubbthr...lapsed&sb=5&o=

also, i know a saw an article or an ad for a product that is placed on an orbor with excessive runout and it has adjusting screws that allow for adjusting out the excessive runout. i can't find it now, but that item, plus your lifetime warranty and the above link on repair should give you some options for correcting the problem. good luck.
            there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

Working...
            X