Please help with my 14" BS14002 Bandsaw

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please help with my 14" BS14002 Bandsaw

I have a 14" BS1402 and I'm having problems that are slowly getting worse. First let me tell you that when in use I can visibly see the blade going back and forth. This did'nt happen at first but gradually it is getting worse. Now when I turn it off and it starts to slow the whole saw seemms to wobble. I put a level across both wheels and notice that the top part of the bottom wheel and the bottom part of the top wheel are slightly not touching the level. Also After setting the tracking of the blade I noticed that on the bottom wheel the blade rides way to far forward and no matter how I try to adjust it nothing makes it better. After close inspection and slowly turning the wheel I can hear what sounds like a high spot brush against the wheel brush. So basically I can't tell if I have a bad tire, wheel, saw? or anything, I am new to the bandsaw and am astonished at how well the need to be set up. Sadly I am having a hard time finding explanations on these problems I'm having so now that I've found you guys I hope to god someone can help.

I cut a lot of wood. Some of which is extremely hard ie: a lot of desert iron wood and frankly I can't afford for my saw to go down on me. If somebody could help me get to the bottom of this I would be very greatful.

I think I posted this in the wrong section so I tried to delete after I posted in the expert section but was unsucsseful. Still urgently need the help though.
    Last edited by Bazzle; 09-27-2010, 06:12 PM. Reason: Tried to delete.

Re: Please help with my 14" BS14002 Bandsaw

when the blade on my 18" BS was oscillating like yours, after months of searching for an explanation, it turned out to be a faulty weld on the timberwolf blade. a new blade form iturra design and no more wobble (or 'loping" which is how the editors @ wood magazine refer to it). also, here is an article on tuning up your BS.

http://americanwoodworker.com/blogs/...r-bandsaw.aspx

i'd take the time to review everything to make sure it's aligned properly. proper set up and a good blade are extremely important to BS performance.
    there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

You might want to look at this thread: http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/sho...hlight=casting

he seems to have had similar problems with the lower wheel.
      Last edited by Lobo; 09-29-2010, 08:15 PM. Reason: Typo

Comment

After much frustration and replacement parts I finally gave up and returned the saw. It all came down to sloppy tolerances on my saw.

Went and got the new porter cable saw and couldn't be happier! I highly recommend that you try to return the saw if you can and get the PC one as its comparable in price.

Originally posted by Lobo View Post
        You might want to look at this thread: http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/sho...hlight=casting

he seems to have had similar problems with the lower wheel.

Comment

Sorry Ridgid, I own several ridgid tools but didnt like the Band saw you have.
          so - I went to another maker.

anyway - @ ndekens

I highly suggest you buy this book, not only is it written so anyone can understand it -"and"-
          Its written buy a guy whom has several patents for Bandsaw accessories as well.

http://www.amazon.com/New-Complete-G...8247436&sr=8-1

there are other books out there, but this is the best one !

Comment

Originally posted by ndekens View Post
            After much frustration and replacement parts I finally gave up and returned the saw. It all came down to sloppy tolerances on my saw.

Went and got the new porter cable saw and couldn't be happier! I highly recommend that you try to return the saw if you can and get the PC one as its comparable in price.
            Did you get the PC or the Delta BS? I found the PC to be less than its predecessor when I first spotted the two side by side earlier this year at Lowes.

http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/sho...347#post271347

I'd go for the Delta if you can find one, otherwise I'd pass on the PC bandsaw.
            "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
            John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

Working...
            X