X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Table Saw Purchase

I used to help my grandfather with woodworking projects. I'd like to get back into it. I'm looking for a table saw to replace a crappy craftsman one i purchase to work on my kitchen. I'm a big fan of Ridgid tools. I was interested in purchasing the TS3650/60 until I found out it was discontinued. I'm interested in the 4512 but it's so damn heavy and I read somewhere they were discontinuing that saw too. I'm not sure I want to buy a portable job saw, however, my favorite part of the craftsman was the portability. Are there any other contractor/hybrid Ridgid saws out there under 600-650? If not, does anyone have any recommendations otherwise?

Re: Table Saw Purchase

Welcome to the Ridgid forum.

At the moment, it appears that the only thing in the Ridgid line-up is the 4510 with it's folding stand. Actually I think it's a pretty decent table saw, although nothing like the much bigger 3650. The 4510 replace the Ridgid 2400, which was quite popular with many home woodworkers.

http://ridgid.com/Tools/R4510-Table-Saw/EN/index.htm

There is supposed to be a new saw out later this year (rumor has it, anyway), but from the few comments that I've seen (as well as a picture), it looks very much like one of the larger Craftsman hybrids which has an inclused base, cast iron top, but with stamped steel extensions (which have received some negative comments, as I recall).

Theres quite a few real table saw experts on the forum, so I'm sure they will jump in and offer thier experienced opinions.

Again, welcome to the forum and good luck with your quest,

CWS

Comment

just don't buy anything from the walter meier group (jet, powermatic, wilton brands). long on promise, short on delivery and pricey. also, their technical support is just so pathetically sub par as to be useless.

regarding ridgid, if you want a contractor or stationary saw, the 4511 was the 500# beast due to the granite top and extension wings. the 4512 is the rumored successor saw, and there is another thread on this forum about that.

have you considered craigslist? i've seen ridgid gray model saws, like ts2412s and 2424s, for between $200 and $300. the benefit to these saws is that they carry a lifetime guaranty that attaches to the tool, regardless of ownership. so falling into one of these could get you a good saw with a warranty at a reasonable price. HTH.
      there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

Finer has a good point, but please understand that the older "Gray" Ridgid Tool warranty is "Lifetime" for "defects in material and workmanship" and is not at all the same as the current "Limited Lifetime Service Agreement" which provides for general repair/replacement service on everything from motors to bearings, switches, etc.

In the case of an older "gray" Ridgid tool, I imagine that it would be difficult to get warranty service unless a part actually broke due to metal fatigue. It would be tough to prove that a motor or bearing didn't simply wear out, and that certainly would not be a "defect in material or workmanship".

I hope this is helpful,

CWS

Comment

+1 on what CWS just said. I too have an older Ridge Tool/Emerson produced gray Ridgid table saw and it does have that Lifetime Warranty as he described. The Ridge Tool/Emerson Lifetime Warranty is an apple while the Limited Lifetime Service Agreement is an orange.
          Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Originally posted by CWSmith View Post
            In the case of an older "gray" Ridgid tool, I imagine that it would be difficult to get warranty service unless a part actually broke due to metal fatigue.
            surprisingly less difficult than you would think. great CS from ridgid.
            there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

I believe the guys above me have far more experience than I do, however I bought my Ridgid TS3650 two years ago used for 250.00 base on recommendations on this forum, I also replaced a crappy craftsman. With or without the LSA the saw was in my price range and has proven to be a very good saw. If something were to break I would look into cost of repairing vs. replacing with another TS3650. By the way the TS3650 is heavy, you won't be lifting it into your truck. Pat

P.S. I do see them come up on Craigslist and Ebay now and then in the 250.00-350.00 range
              Last edited by PMR413; 09-28-2010, 10:29 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X