X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Powermatic PM1200 air filtration unit

I decided to heed the warning on shop health safety as it relates to the protection from the insidious woodworking dust. I decided to complement my DC unit with an air filtration unit. my research led me to the 2 final candidates; the JET AFS-1000B, http://www.amazon.com/708620B-AFS-10...5814646&sr=8-1
    and the Powermatic PM1200, http://www.amazon.com/Powermatic-PM1...5814789&sr=1-1
    I decided to go for the Powermatic largely on specs, quiet operation and aesthetics.

Well, things haven't gone well so far. The first unit arrived with a big dent on the side of the unit obviously as a result of shipping damage. Can't say I'm surprised, the packaging could be more sturdy than it is. Anyways, Amazon promptly sent me a 2nd one. To my delight it arrived with no obvious exterior damage but when I removed the rear exhaust cover and diffusion filter I noticed one of the bolts holding the blower motor to the rear of the unit was loose and stripped. also noticed the metal was bent and deformed around each bolt, (see pictures below).
    As a result there's small gaps between the blower housing and the back of the unit. I also noticed about a half inch gap between the 2 surfaces on the right side of the the exhaust window. This gap runs the entire vertical length of the window.
    I'm not sure it is there by design or due to the described metal deformation. I became concerned that gap would allow the blower to suck air from the rear of the unit thus degrading the ability of the unit to filter poluted air? I placed a piece of tissue paper in the area and confirmed that indeed air suction is taking place(see picture). It makes me wonder that as the front filter get clogged with use, even more air will be sucked from this area....

Am I missing something? did I get a bad unit? I welcome your ideas and comments.
    Also from the literature included with manual and warranty information, it appears that the JET and Powermatic units are made by the same company, "the Jet group". Perhaps the the Jet owner on this board can chime in?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Hawk; 10-01-2010, 12:46 AM.

Re: Powermatic PM1200 air filtration unit

I have a similar Jet unit (see pic). I just went out to my shop and checked. With it on, there is no air being sucked into the 'exhaust' vent like yours does, only air blowing out. Mine is slightly bent on the other end, across the top, above the filter; if you look close you can see the difference in the gap at the ceiling. I didn't see this as a problem, so kept it. The box was a bit flimsy, so was the box of for the dust collector.

The dust filter collects plenty of dust, so I feel it's helping my health.
    Attached Files

Comment

Re: Powermatic PM1200 air filtration unit

Originally posted by sailorman View Post
      I have a similar Jet unit (see pic). I just went out to my shop and checked. With it on, there is no air being sucked into the 'exhaust' vent like yours does, only air blowing out. Mine is slightly bent on the other end, across the top, above the filter; if you look close you can see the difference in the gap at the ceiling. I didn't see this as a problem, so kept it. The box was a bit flimsy, so was the box of for the dust collector.

The dust filter collects plenty of dust, so I feel it's helping my health.
      Sailorman,
      Thanks for confirming your Jet does not have the same problem as mine. Your information is very relevant as these two units are very simillar in design/performance and made by the same company.

Comment

Working...
      X