X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TS2424 DEAL???

Hello to all and BOY, am I relieved to find a forum to assist me in my dillema. Thanx in advance for all who'll be able to be of assistance.
    Here's the deal, Last night I brought home the floor model TS2424 from HD for $375. There are some parts, miter gauge etc., missing and it all seems to be a good deal. I originally thought it was a TS3612 because that was what the sticker on top said, I paused to read the id plate on the saw and found it to be a TS2424. So, I've got thirty days until my return deadline runs out and I need the assistance of all who care to help to insure that I can strip this baby down & make sure it is as good a deal as what I told my wife. I'm particularly interested in hearing any stories of free assistance from Rigid, the tech guy said I have to buy all of the parts and the guy at HD said they'd send it all under warranty. Any and all tips tricks, or lessons learned the hard way will be appreiciated as well as should I or shoudn't I just take the beast back now. I've been fence sitting and almost bought the Ryobi3100 last week but held out to make an offer on a saw that I hope to get a longer use out of, I'm not really a newbie but this is my first table saw, and I don't plan to get one only to find myself wanting more power. NO, don't anyone mention the unisaw I'm married and STAYING that way.
    So let me know what you think, as well as whether or not I should take this back and bite the bullet for the new TS3650, If it's really that much better, and this TS2424 is gonna be a huge PITA then I could really use the help from those of you currently driving these saws.

The miter gauge is no big deal. The stock one is nearly worthless, in my opinion they should include no miter gauge and lower the price by 10 or 20 bucks. You can get a decent one from Incra for about $55, or a very good one for about $120. The other parts are the issue. If you are missing expensive parts that ridgid will not provide for free than you are probably better off buying a new TS in the box. If the only parts you have to pay for are the miter gauge and total $100 or less than that is okay. I've seen the 2424 floor models available here and there for that price and they looked complete, the 3612 floor models are selling for $469 , which is a good deal if complete.
    www.TheWoodCellar.com

Comment

From what I've heard, Rafael is right on Ridgid not providing all the parts. For a replacement miter gauge, you can spend as little as $50, but I'd really recommend the Incra 1000 or 1000 SE ($100-120).

Now, as long as it has the fence, rails, motor and herculift, and both cast iron wings, $375 is a good price, IMO. But, if any of these major/expensive components are missing---I'd do a bit more haggeling (threatening to bring it back)---if, for example, the fence was missing ($200 from Ridgid or $275 for a nice Biesemeyer) they should knock at least another $75-100 off the price----convienent how they could simply give you a gift card!

You've got a good saw there----enjoy.
      Dave

Comment

Thanx for the reply's it's comforting to hear good things. As ya'll have noted the incra was already in my plan and the rest just seems to be misc. screws etc. This unit doesn't have the hercu-lift, it has the "Universal Caster System" All the UCS is missing is the actuator lever. This appears to be the only substantive item missing but I've just printed the owners manual & plan to dissassemble the unit and reassemble it because the few items I looked at so far do not have lock washers....so I'm better off safe than sorry...RIGHT???. Any other areas to keep an eye on please let me know 30 days & counting

Comment

You're doing the best thing---you don't know who assembled it and besides, you'll learn alot about the saw. I'd go through full procedures for installing and aligning the fence. Also be sure to make sure everything is fine on the blade bevel adjustment and lock.
          Dave

Comment

I got ahold of the store manager & told him of how the saw I bought was labled, SKU'd, and sold as a 3612 when it was really a 2424. After agreeing that the main difference was the rail & fence assembly the store manager is having the tool manager locate a set of 3612 rails & fence for me. From what I've been able to gather after searching the archives here the only difference between the two seems to be the rails & fence...so a 2424 with 3612 rails & fence would be one hell of a set up for $375 right...??? Need some affirmation or advice because the irritation factor could start to really make the 3650 worth another $200.
            Thanx!

Comment

If you get 3612 rails---consider yourself lucky! From all the reviews I've read, while the 2424 rails/fence were good, the 3612s got even better reviews. Also, consider yourself lucky since Ridgid never carried the 3612 fence/rails separatly. They were just 2424s they sold.
              Dave

Comment

For $375, a TS2424 with TS2424 rails and fence is an unbeatable deal.
                keep makn\' sawdust!...just don\'t breath any.

Comment

After reading over in "Ask wookwooking Experts" that, as per 411 provided by bdueker, the 3650 rails & fence are the same as what was on the 3612, I'm confident that I'll get the rails & fence upgraded, since the parts will still be readily available.
                  I've got alot of redecorating to do in the garage but initial measurments say that I'll be able to get the cars into the garage, even if I have to cut a hole into the drywall so the saw can go against the wall without taking the motor off...LOL.
                  So...this weekend the wife & kids are going to go up to G-ma's house, I should get my dial indicator from HF by Weds, the fence & rails B4 Sat, and sawdust by SUNDAY.

On a serious note: After reading most of the archives here concerning table saws, I'd like to request YET, another opinion of the forum.
                  As my digits are oh so very important to my income, and since reading of the near & not so near misses of the experienced members of this forum, I'd like to ask for recommendations on a good reference book to further advance my theoretical TS knowledge towards the practical. Also, i've looked into the purchase of "Board Buddies" and they seem cheaper & less painful than surgery.
                  Your thoughts are welcomed & appreciated!! Thanxs to all who've helped me get over my worries of "Did I just F-up & buy a POS"

Oh yeah, first planned project...A nice frame for where the TS motor will be sticking through the wall into the basement stairwell. I'll title the piece "Last of a Dying Breed"..American made Tool Motor.

Comment

"The Table Saw Book" by Kelly Mehler and published by Tauton Press (the best source for all woodworking literature) is excellent. For the $20 I spent on the book, I'm sure that I'll save hundreds of dollars on the TOTAL investment in my table saw. For instance, he claims that most miter gauges are junk, so build yourself a cross-cut sled (or two or three) for $15 rather than $100 for a gauge. Also, he points out that table saws with "blade shroud dust collection" can be effectively used with a shop vac. The new TS3650 has that type of dust port, which works out perfectly for me, since I've got all of 30 amps in the garage (can't use a table saw, lights, and a dust collector simultaneously) and a Jet canister dust collector costs $450! So let's see, that $20 book has already saved me around $600! Factor in the cost of buying a table saw once, rather than getting one and then another a few years later, and there is another few hundred dollars.

Buy the book, read it cover to cover, and then determine if you want to keep the 2424, or bring it back to HD. Hope this helps!

Comment

Another book you may care to consider is "Table Saw Basics" by Roger Cliffe.

Mount a 6" auxiliary fence to your (hopefully) 3612 fence. Make a featherboard as one of your first projects from the book. Mount to aux fence with clamps. Buy for $8 or so a miter slot featherboard to provide lateral pressure. These are available from numerous suppliers, and for that price makes it easy to buy than make!

David

Comment

Rockler sells a featherboard withe miter track bar for $11.99 Rockler Featherboard .
                        I have 2 of them, they work well and are easy to use.
                        www.TheWoodCellar.com

Comment

Just to note, the 3612 fence and rails are different from the 2424, but so is the trunnion. Because you get a free set of 3612 rails, doesn't mean you now have a 3612.

My personal opinion, I prefer the 2424 rails and fence locking lever over the 3612.
                          John E. Adams<br /><a href=\"http://www.woodys-workshop.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.woodys-workshop.com</a>

Comment

UO-Woody,
                            I must ask for some more detail, All so far have voiced a preference as to the 3612 fence & rail. I posses experience with neither & am seeking the input of those with the experience to advise. The trunnion issue is new to me and quite frankly I only really learned what a trunnion was the other day, (where blade arbor etc. is connected to table! right??!!) Anyway, I would like to hear more of your personal opinion if you'd care to share or highlight areas that I can focus extra attention on while reassembling the saw

Comment

Dan----I can't tell you which mags, but there were reviews of the 2424 and 3612. The fence on the 2424 was considered one of it's weaker features---not impossible to get accurate, but not overly friendly, whereas, the 3612 fence got a great review. Fact is, none of the stock fences on lower end table saws stack up against an aftermarket fence----from the review I read, the 3612 came the closest.

Not familiar with the difference in trunions between the two saws---later models of the 2424 had the micro-adjust feature. I can say that the trunions on my much older Emerson-made Craftsman are cast aluminum and have never been a problem since doing a good tweeking, adding the micro-adjust (Pals).
                              Dave

Comment

Working...
                              X