X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• just got bandsaw, planer, and osc spinle,belt sander

Hi everyone, I just got the Ridgid planer, bandsaw and osc. spindle/belt sander!! I also picked up the new Ridgid cordless combo pack, (was the first one to buy Ridgid cordless at local HD, the JUST put them out). I used to build decks and room additions, but got hurt. So now I am going to do some woodworking in the garage for fun and HOPEFULLY a little money.

Does any one have any suggestions on what would be a good project to make to sell? I have a decent shop, especially now I got this stuff. I am looking forward to buying a hollow chisel mortiser, and a dust collection system. Any one have any suggestions on them either.

Well this is long enough, just really excited to get into the shop and play with the new "toys".

John
    Some people\'s lack of a sense of humor ruins life for the rest of us.

Congratulations on the tools John.

I did several months of research before I purchased a mortise machine. I wanted the big unit by General. For lack of funds, I now have the Shop Fox bench top mortise machine.

I had a chance to touchy feely several models side by side, and the Shop Fox was my choice.
    John E. Adams<br /><a href=\"http://www.woodys-workshop.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.woodys-workshop.com</a>

Comment

Originally posted by thedeckguy:
      I am looking forward to buying a hollow chisel mortiser, and a dust collection system. Any one have any suggestions on them either.
      John, the August, 2003 edition of Workbench magazine did a very thorough review of several current-model mortisers. Manufacturers reviewed were Delta, Woodtek, General, Jet, Fisch, Craftsman, Bridgewood, and Multico.

The "Editor's Choice" winner was the Delta 14-651. The reviewer said that it "set the standard for this category." They fairly gushed over it, in fact. I found the closing paragraph on the Delta interesting:

"Interestingly Enough, this is the last tool we tested from this group. That seemed quite appropriate when we recognized that, had we been able to harvest the best characteristics of all the other machines and blend them into one, this is the tool that would've resulted. The real news, though, is that all this can be had for a considerably lower price than you might expect."

The price, BTW, is about $239. I've been wanting a mortiser, and this one is the one on my Christmas list.

When it comes to dust collection, I'd advise you to bypass the cheaper options and go directly to a cyclone type DC. I have a Penn State Industries DC-2 and I wish I'd gone for a cyclone the first time -- I'll be making the change eventually. The DC-2 has been a good unit, and I have no complaints about it, other than the shortcomings of ALL 2-bag units.

Wood dust is really toxic -- particularly some of the more exotic woods. Dust collection is important -- and don't forget a good air cleaner, too.

Have fun with your new toy... er, tools!

D.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I think for the money I probably will go with the Delta. And boy do I know about sawdust! I used to be a deck contractor, I have eaten more than my fair share of CCA sawdust in my life!
        I just found this board after I bought my tools, This is really great. I look forward to being on here alot.

Thanks again
        John

Comment

Looks like Christmas came early. So what are you going to get the wife?

Comment

It's gonna be like that commercial on TV, She is getting a complete bedroom set out of it.
            I am going to build a headboard, hope chest, dresser and armoire.
            I am going to make it out of MDF so I can paint it a gloss white. Our bedroom is decorated with lighthouses, and things related to the sea. We live in a log home, so its hard to not have TOO much wood. I think the white MDF will brighten things up, and fit in well with the seaside theme.

John

Comment

Working...
            X