• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forum vs Forum

Interesting commentary on the Ridgid forum from the Ryobi forum
    http://www.ryobitools.com/dcforum/DCForumID24/1887.html

Wood Dog

Aside from one dingaling comment about rough cuts, seemed like a nice writeup. I'm not certain of your motivation in posting this, though.

It appears Ryobi doesn't have a Product Manager monitor their forum. I think that is the great potential of a Manufacturer's board, good for Ridgid and Jake for getting it right.

Dave

Comment

Very interesting and I agree with a couple of points. First, the comments about Jake and the customer service interest of Ridgid. Second, the lack of volume of dialog on this board compared to others. The one point I do not agree with is the harshness of people in this forum about other manufactures. Heck, go to WOODNET Tool Forum and watch people jump on the bandwagon about craftsman or crapsman as they fondly refer. Sometimes I wonder if some are masters at what they do. Maybe they are just people throwing around close tolerances because they have read it somewhere before and believe they are in a chat room to impress.

Ridgid Family keep up the good work!

Comment

First, being a newbie here (it's Dave A's fault ), that Jake handles things in an extremely professional manner, and poster's are free to critisize short-comings of a Rigid product. Try doing that on the Ryobi site! Those people are like a cult.

As to slamming poor tool manufacturers, it has nothing to do with close tollerances or being anil. There is simply some garbage on the market, and since sites, like Woodnet are designed to share information/experience, it's only right that Craftsman or Ryobi take their hits when they put out inferrior products. Of six Ryobi-made, Craftsman hand power tools I own and 4 crap out, you think I'm not going to say anything
        Dave

Comment

No special agenda for the post. Just thought the observations were interesting. I guess it is just human nature to rally around our purchase decisions and do a little chest beating. I thought the point about greater Ridgid involvement in this forum was on target and speaks well of the company. This level of involvement is obviously not as apparent on other company specific forums yet something that most people would appreciate and request.

I prefere not to sink to the level of name calling or innuendos. BTW... my dog can whip their dog.

Seriously though, there is plenty of room for everyone's opinion when presented in the right spirit.

Wood Dog........Rough Rough

Comment

Unless it's this dawg [img]tongue.gif[/img]
            He who dies with the most power tools wins!

Comment

Wooddawg---almost totally agree. I think there are many tool manufacturers who would serve their customers well, with a site such as this and someone like Jake. Letting people talk over their questions/issues, with a pro to handle problems, when needed, would save any company a bundle on their customer service.

As to comments on tools, since most threads are generated by people asking advice on a new tool purchase, I feel it's just being frendly to try and steer them clear of problem equipment. After some of my own, costly experiences (reinforced by comments of others in the same boat) I don't think I'd be honest if I came out with a platitude that all manufacturers have problems or it must have just been a bad apple in the bunch.

I thought the Ryobi forum comment was interesting as well--a:--they don't have a Jake. b:---they're more active than this forum---maybe that's because misery loves company
              Dave

Comment

In the case of the BT3000, I have seen them (the owners) take nasty beatings on-line, stuff that is just unwarranted. I don't blame them a bit for wanting to go off to a forum just about their machine. Add to that, it is a very unusual machine, advise on what works for a contractor's saw often won't help them.

Not but a couple years ago, I saw the same thing regarding Ridgid, particularly the tablesaw. What I found was that almost all of it was parroting, "I heard someone say that he knew a guy....." Wouldn't surprise me if the exact same was true of the BT3000.

I'm happy with my one Ryobi tool, a cordless drill. It has performed well both times I've used it.

Dave

Comment

Sorry to imply that I'm sensitive to calling crap something other than but remember sometimes a name is deceiving. My comment was about people using derogatory statements by generalization. I have TS,RAS,BS which are Craftsman but purchased in early 1980's which make them Emerson built. Point is before fueling the flames by giving advice good or bad based solely on a name at least find out some specifics.

Yes, I own a Ridgid planner, OSS, retro fence for TS and waiting for the DP1550 so my original purchases of craftsman couldn't have been that bad.

Comment

daveferg,

Thanks for the comments. I "think" you were addressing them to me, Wood Dog. Wooddawg is another dog. One more dog and we'll need a dog pound. If you look close, he's got a 5-star pedigree while I'm just a mut.

One common thread I noted as I looked through the forum was a general complaint about the presentation of tools at HD. There were a few exceptions but most who commented complained about the display as well as the personnel. A number of Ryobi guys seemed to feel Ridgid had top billing but I've seen as many complaints here on the Ridgid displays. I have to admit, more often than not, I have been disappointed in this same area. It appears that in many cases, loyalties to Ridgid woodworking products are not BECAUSE of the HD displays and support but IN SPITE of them. In reality, no one expects every store to be perfect every time but I'm hearing a lot of noise out there. I'm in my local HD a lot and have more times than not found either myself of another customer who was knowledgeable about the products helping potential customers with questions, etc. I certainly don't mind this and actually enjoy the discussions but it is sad to think of how many frustrated customers have just thrown up their hands and walked out. I certainly can not speak first hand about other stores but this is a common problem among several of the stores in my area that I frequent. I wonder if this is really a wide spread issue.

Sorry this turned into a minor rant but sometimes you just gotta scratch that flee.

Feeling better now,
                    Wood Dog (the other dog)

Comment

Hey Dog: could'nt agree more. It's really frustrating when you go in to a store for some basic info , and you can't get it. This forum and the people on it are the best thing to happen to power tools in years. Oh, no pedigree here, just a plain 'ol heinz 57.
                      Dawg
                      He who dies with the most power tools wins!

Comment

zapj---briefly, due to a total tool loss, replaced everything almost 13 years ago---90% of which was Sears---use the tools when I can find time, which, in the past wasn't often. The sanding station and ts were Emerson built---no, not top of the line, but neigher was the cost---maintenance and improvement--still using them. As to the hand power tools---see previous post---if asked I will always try to turn someone away from buying Ryobi (motto--the tool so nice, we make you buy it twice ) Other brands---I look at it this way---anyone's entitled to a clunker---just not a whole set of clunkers

Wood Dog---been going to the same HD for years and have really seen them slowly turning away from stationary tools. A lot of the Rigid tools are off in a dark corner up front---they dumped the dust collectors, and yesterday, saw they were closing out the wood lathes.

As far as HD favoring Rigid over Ryobi--in displays---thats just silly. As you said, it's an overall lack of knowledgable employees. Besides, may if the sliding table doesn't work in the Ryobi---or the fence jambs on the 2424, just maybe it's either that they take too much time to align or they were aligned and went out of wack after having 10,000 kids fool with them In either case---not the strongest feature of either tool.

I don't know what ever happened to the HD employees who used to know their stuff. I was standing next to a guy who was asking some pretty basic questions about a Delta planer---the guy waiting on him had to run off 2-3 times to get the answer--heck, they don't even have those little radios to keep in touch. But I bet the kid could have pointed you right to the Roto-Zip
                        Dave

Comment

daveferg...you are OK...as are other people who use this forum. Not just because you own some craftsman tools but because you understand what I was saying. Some clunkers in a manufactures line do not neccessarily make their entire line clunkers.

I believe I have seen other posts in this forum which have recommended tools other than Ridgid. The differance as I see it is the possitive qualities are expressed about a specific tool rather than negative about a manufacture. I am sure most people welcome what they feel is an honest opinion.

Comment

zapj---with the noted exception (and for good reason) of my overall bad opinion of that "R" brand --not Rigid, various manufacturers can sure have lemons---it's just a fact. There are certain Rigid tools I've got on my want list and other brands as well.

But nothing will turn me against a manufacturer faster than poor or non-existant customer service---don't care how good their tool is.

Dave
                            Dave

Comment

My 2 cents worth..I have a lot of craftsman and some of many other brands. Craftsman has really P----- me off for not honoring a warrented tool and as other craftsman tool fail or wear out I will NOT be replacing them with craftsman..Point is "C" router died and replaced with FREUD and I am about to get a new cordless drill 3/8 var. about 14 or more volts and it will not be craftsman. Any suggestions? dd

Comment

Working...
                              X