X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raised Panels with small routers

I decided to start a new post, since the other thread is so long now.
    I've recently acquired the tools I need to start doing some really fine woodworking. As always, budget is a major factor in tool selection, but I'm not one to buy a cheap tool. For my first router purchase, I picked up the PC Router combo, 1 3/4 hp because of the versatility and variety of applications. I also went and picked up a cabinet bit set and some templates.
    There's no room left in the budget for a larger router, so I'm left with a 1 3/4 hp router to do the job of raised panels. Does anyone know if it can be done? I've already received some advice from someone telling me to set the speed all the way up because the bit will slow way down while cutting. Anyone out there done this?

My router table is attached to my tablesaw. I use a larger router. Whole thing must weigh over 350 pounds. I once accidentally powered up a panel raising bit at full speed, and the -entire- saw began to move. I think your coorespondent is dispensing extremely dangerous advice.

Vertical panel raising bits are designed for small, fixed speed routers. They require a tall fence to be built to properly support the workpiece.

If your particular version of the 690 is variable speed, the other tactic is to use a standard horizontal bit, at the lowest speed the router has as the bit is designed to be used, and take several small bites. I know a couple people who use lower powered routers in this fashion and they do just fine.

Dave

Comment

the first time i tried my dewalt plunge router in a table environment i ran it open and full tilt. Won't ever do that again. worst wood i tried to route was oak. It has exploded and that is the scariest feeling i have ever experienced. since then i learned to run my router as slow as i feel is good, and make more passes. seems to work great, for me anyway. better control of the wood too. won't jump too much either. hope the imput helped, good routing.

Comment

I agree, slower and small bites are safer and better on the equipment and material, and yourself.
        I have the PC you purchased, and it is has more than enough to do the job. I use a larger one for that application, but that is because that is what I have in both my tables. I use the PC unit to do freehand work such as roundovers and chamfers.
        btw, Those large panel raising bits put alot of strain on the machine. The slightest little bit out of balance and it wouldn't take long to tear the guts out of your router at high speed.
        John E. Adams<br /><a href=\"http://www.woodys-workshop.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.woodys-workshop.com</a>

Comment

I don't have the PC but I have a 1.5hp dewalt fixed base with a speed control in a table and have had good results. I can definately see where a larger router would be nice though.

Have to agree with everyone else and say take small bites and keep it slow! [img]smile.gif[/img]

Jmo Scott
          NO NO NO- I engineered it to look like that!! Crooked-HA!

Comment

Working...
          X