Riving knife on TS3660

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Riving knife on TS3660

I'd really like to put a riving knife on my TS3660. I have looked at it and just don't know how it can be done. Has anybody done it?

Re: Riving knife on TS3660

to the nest of my knowledge, it is not possible. the cradle assembly would need to be redesigned to provide room, and a connection point, for a riving knife. (having said that, i have no doubt that someone will shortly post pics and schematics of a successfully executed riving knife for a 3650.)
    there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

I've never seen a riving knife for the 3650. I have had a few email discussions about it with Bob Ross, the inventor of the Bolt On Ripping Knife (BORK), but he doesn't think it's feasible due to the blade shroud design.

You can add a Microjig splitter though...~ $20.

Comment

I wanted to do the same thing to my Craftex ct146, which is basically the same saw. Since I also have a small lathe and milling machine, I thought it would be fairly easy.

When I got to looking though, I quickly changed my mind. The kicker was there just wasn't enough room behind the blade to make it feasible.

It could probably be done, but the amount of work and fabricating parts involved would be tiresome for such a small gain in safety over a splitter.My advice is if you want a riving knife on your saw is to buy a saw with one already installed.

A few companies have made retro-fit riving knife packages for some of their saw models, but they cost a fortune and you have to replace basically the whole trunnion assembly.

Comment

Boy, don't I wish. I've probably had 100 inquiries from Ridgid saw owners and 200+ from the venerable Craftsman Emerson saw owners.

I make my splitters ~1-3/8" wide and that's about the maximum space in the cabinet and hybrid saws. I've not measured any of the saws with that shroud design but I doubt if there's 3/4".

Bob Ross
          theborkstore.com

Comment

Working...
          X