Wood Allergy? ....Is He for Real?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wood Allergy? ....Is He for Real?

There's a guy on Craigslist selling off all of his woodworking tools at a pretty big discount. SAYS he has developed wood allergies so everything goes.

Can this really happen or is he putting me on?

Re: Wood Allergy? ....Is He for Real?

Nope, he's not putting you on, this can happen. It's not very common but every now and then, on the woodworking forums, you read about it happening.
    ================================================== ====
    ~~Don't worry about old age; it doesn't last that long.

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
      There's a guy on Craigslist selling off all of his woodworking tools at a pretty big discount. SAYS he has developed wood allergies so everything goes.

Can this really happen or is he putting me on?
      It really does happen. When woodworking, there can be a lot of dust in the air and it causes some people to get sensitive (some woods are worse than others).

Comment

my SIL can not be around most woods when sanding or sawing,

and I have ran into some that bother me, right now I do not remember what it was, or if it was some type of salvage out of a box or pallet wood, I was reusing.
        Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
        attributed to Samuel Johnson
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Yes, it happens. However, most times it is a specific family of woods and not woods in general. Black walnut, bubinga, and cocobola are the ones most cited, and those with walnut allergies quite often have no problem with cocobola, etc. One person I know and bought wood from was a sawyer, who developed severe allergic reactions to black walnut after several years of exposure to the dust. Problem was that it was the main wood he was making money on. He sold his mill, but continues to woodwork with other species of wood. People who work with reclaimed wood also have to be careful about some of the species of black mold that get into it. Most who have a reaction do fine wearing a respirator or dusk mask when working with the wood.

In most of the very few cases that I have witnessed where people have just quit working with it, there were other factors involved. Primarily, it was the wife who was "allergic" to the money and time spent woodworking, or the individual finding he had to actually know something or just lost interest after having bought all the latest/greatest tools, and no longer wanted to put forth the effort, not an actual medical condition. If he really discounted the tools, then he is serious about quitting for whatever reason. Take it for what its worth and jump on a bargain when it presents itself.

Go
          Last edited by Gofor; 10-08-2010, 07:18 PM.
          Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

Originally posted by cpw View Post
            It really does happen. When woodworking, there can be a lot of dust in the air and it causes some people to get sensitive (some woods are worse than others).

When working with ash I start wheezing and itching if I don't wear a dusk mask. Others don't bother me and there is nothing better then the smell of fresh cut pine.

Comment

Here is a link to a very good site on dust collection and the dangers of wood dust.

http://billpentz.com/Woodworking/Cyc...dicalrisks.cfm

Lots of good information on this site. Well worth your time to surf the whole site.

BTW. I've been a member of the forum for over a year. Been content just to read the postings before, but I think that proper dust collection is a very important topic that all woodworkers should be aware of. Hope the site helps you.

Comment

Working...
              X