Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does the new "Can you sharpen throwaway planer knives?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does the new "Can you sharpen throwaway planer knives?

Hi, I've heard that the new "Deulen" Jointer/Planer Knife Sharpening Tool can sharpen throwaway planer knives so you can re-use them with-out having to buy another set. I saw many posts today on another forum site and want to find out how to buy one. Do you know how much they cost? Thank you, Almost Gifted.

Re: Does the new "Can you sharpen throwaway planer knives?

Welcome to the forum.

While joiner knives are generally able to be resharpened and/or honed, I'm not sure about planer knives. Generally speaking (with my limited knowledge, experience), the joiner knife on my Ridgid is "adjustable" and therefore when you have to re-sharpen, you can also re-adjust to make up for the reduction in blade width that occurs with sharpening.

But, I believe that planer knives are NOT adjustable.. at least on those models that use so-called "throw-away" blades. These blades basically sit into position on the cutter-head where they are securely fastened in place. There's no "raising" of the blade to allow for the reduction in width that will be caused by sharpening.

Surely someone with more experience than me will step in here and offer their advice. But, for whatever it might be worth, I don't think that "throw-away" planer blades can sharpened, especially if it's to a degree where you're having to remove anything beyond a very minute amount of material.

I hope this is helpful,

CWS

Comment

Re: Does the new "Can you sharpen throwaway planer knives?

As usual, CWS is correct.

GAS

Comment

Working...
      X