No announcement yet.

Zero Clearance Inserts - Worth It ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I use ZCI any time I'm making a cut. I've made up several for the various angles I use. The more the angle, the more you have to cut out on the backside to get it started on the blade and into the saw table. I also keep several "blanks" in case I need to make up a new angle.

Couple of years ago I had a small piece of wood come back at me, hit me in the snot, and almost took me to my knees. Bleeding like a stuck hog I stumbled into the house, scared the devil out of my two girls home from college. I ended up getting 5 stitches in my nose. My oldest daughter made me promise not to disfigure myself anymore until after her wedding, which was coming up within a couple of months after this little fiasco.

I'm sure if I would have had a ZCI on it wouldn't have happened. Every since then, I'm a firm believer in ZCI. Don't ever run the orange beast without them.

Woodrat

Comment

First, to those who advocate moving the fence over part of the ZCI when you raise the blade to make the slot. DON'T! Clamp a length of 2 x 4 or something over the insert.

Second, you don't have to rout or carve out an under-slot for blade relief. Use a 7ΒΌ" blade or an outside blade from a 6" or 8" dado set to start the slot. You can then switch to a 10" blade to finish the slot. This way you don't weaken the ZCI by making it thinner in the area where the blade comes through. Especially critical on angled ZCIs.

gator

Comment

Working...
      X