R4511 Granite Top

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R4511 Granite Top

I was hoping someone could help me locate a granite top for this saw. I purchased 2 saws in pieces and I have everything except 1 center granite section. Thanks for any help

Re: R4511 Granite Top

Here ya go, R4511 Parts, the part you want is #20. WARNING: Sit down before you click on that link.
    ================================================== ====
    All of us could take a lesson from the weather. It pays no attention to criticism.

Comment

I have an entire saw that I'd sell for slightly less than that!

Comment

I had seen that site before, thanks anyway. I was hoping to find some used parts or something like that.If not maybe I can part out the saw

Comment

At this point, why not fabricate your own center section? Not easy, but should be doable?

Comment

Make a mold from the broken center section and cast your own. It won't be granite but it should work.
            "It's a table saw, do you know where your fingers are?" Bob D. 2006

https://www.youtube.com/user/PowerToolInstitute

Comment

Just an idea, but check with your local countertop/stone dealer. There's lots of custom shops and perhaps they can make you a granite section that would fit your needs.

CWS

Comment

Check with the local tombstone maker. Maybe he has a broken (or mis engraved) stone that could be cut to size for a reasonable price.

Comment

Originally posted by billmoy View Post
                  Check with the local tombstone maker. Maybe he has a broken (or mis engraved) stone that could be cut to size for a reasonable price.
                  They might be a good source for a slab of granite but I don't know if they would have the equipment to cut it to size. A kitchen counter top installer would probably have a CNC router setup for cutting granite and this will give better precision and be able to make any undercuts or reliefs on the underside which most monument companies would not have the equipment to do.

I think most monument companies today have very little in the way of a shop for the manufacture of monuments, they order it from the quarry cut to size with what ever shape and finish the customer wants, and probably get it lettered there too, though some may have portable equipment for doing lettering in the field (cemetery) to make inscriptions on existing stones.

My family operated a large monument company for over 100 years beginning just after the Civil War. I spent many hours as a kid running around in the shop which employed over 30 men doing everything from carving marble statues to manufacturing large memorials, community and private mausoleums, as well as headstones, markers, and ornamental work (public fountains, etc). They used to get large slabs of granite on railroad flatcars from the quarries that weighed over 20 tons each that they would slice and dice into whatever size/shape was needed. Not much call for that kind of work now-a-days, not many individuals and no government agency has the money to splurge on these items in todays economic climate.

Last edited by Bob D.; 10-26-2010, 09:59 AM.
                  "It's a table saw, do you know where your fingers are?" Bob D. 2006

https://www.youtube.com/user/PowerToolInstitute

Comment

rredog.. FWIW, since you stated you are missing the middle section and are not able to repair what you don't have, i'd part out what you have. take the proceeds and buy a new 4512 @ a HD that honors the 20% coupons from harbor freight that appear in many tool and woodworking magazines. having the missing piece fabricated from scratch seems a long shot in terms of having it fabricated correctly. just my $.02.
                    there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

I think I will part it out to an extent, I did get 1 complete working saw out of the deal. The extra cabinet & lift , I could make a nice router table out of & then sell the extra. Sound good?

Comment

I've always wondered if a cast iron top from an older full sized saw could be made to fit. Those old Emerson made Craftsman saws sell in the $100 range just about every week in our area....raid the top, sell off the other parts. The standard width is typically 20", with a standard depth of 27". Anchoring the top to the cabinet would be the trick, but it doesn't seem like it would be out of the question.

Comment

Working...
                        X