Adding router extension to 3650

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adding router extension to 3650

Ok, so I read all the posts about adding a router table extension. I don't remember who's post it was but I decided on one and am using 1 1/2 angle aluminum to bolt to each rail and then sit my table in it. (and of course i will be adding support to the end also!).

My question is when I bolt the aluminum to the rails the nuts will be protruding inside where I will be sitting the table down in. Do I just notch the table for each one? What would be the best way to do that? I don't recall seeing that addressed.

Re: Adding router extension to 3650

Either notch the bottom using a router and straight bit or drill press and forstner. I'd probably do it at the router table with stops and the fence set up.

Comment

cutting a rabbet along the table or table edges or table support structure which abut the rails would probably be the easiest way to provide for the aluminum angle and bolt heads that will intrude into the area which will be occupied by the router extension. just leave at least 1/8" of the top in place to cover the bolt heads. that should be strong enough to support any work pieces.
      there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

Eric i got a TS-3660 and been wanting a ext too...So when you make yours please post pictures...

Comment

I finally finished mine a couple of weeks ago. If the kids will let me borrow their digital camera for a few I will post them..hopefully soon!

Comment

Here are some pics of my extension table. I used 1 1/4 angle aluminum bought from HD bolted to the rails with 5/16 bolts. The table measures 27 x 15. I still need to add some support to the end of the table. I don't leave the plate and router in the table when not in use just in case of any sagging or warping of the rails. Hope this helps.
            Attached Files

Comment

since the bolts that mount the aluminum angles to the rails seem to be inaccessible once the router extension is mounted, how is the router table levelled to the saw table and the extension wings?
              there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

I leveled the aluminum supports when I attached them. The table itself is flat so once I had the supports level it didn't require anymore leveling. If it did I was going to use some type of shim between the supports and the extension top.

Comment

Go here. Simple and no extra hardware

http://lumberjocks.com/projects/24508

Comment

Working...
                  X