X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shop Lay-Out

I have been restoring a old house for years. All the construction has lead to a love of woodworking. I have a 35x28 garage that I have been converting to a shop for the last year. I have accuired a few machines and need info on the natural flow thru-out a shop. How much space is needed between machines? Which machines can be placed back to back? Dust collection outside in enclosure?
    I know you Old Timers can save me a lot of trial and error.
    Thanks,
    Rob
    Just tilt your head a little and it will look straight!

Shop layout, to me, is a matter of personal preference. I've been to large shops that "feel" cramped, and have a small shop (16'X16') that "feels" roomy.
    Because my shop is small, everything's on wheels. TS, BS, router table, drill press, jointer, planer, everything. They each have their own parking spot when not in use. My workbench fits along one wall, with the CMS station built in. Works for me.
    If I had the space, I would position the jointer and planer, along with one of those giant belt sanding machines, in line with the table saw, in order to feed raw stock in a straight line through the "prep" stages into the final milling process at the TS.
    Wood storage is it's own dilema. Like clamps, there's never enough. Mine is in the rafters and on shelving along the walls, and under the workbench (smaller pieces).
    Access doors are important, too. Bringing 8 foot sheet goods into the shop is a lot easier with big, barn-type doors.
    Dust collection, finishing, etc... all have to be considered when laying out the shop. Sufficient electrics another issue.
    I think Norm has a shop tour, as does others on the Web. Do a GOOGLE search for "woodworking shop tours" and see what you get.
    Hey, if you need help moving stuff around, I work in Rancho Santa Margarita, not that far from you.
    xman
    It\'s all in the name: Bucheron (FR)= woodchopper

Comment

Found one!!

http://www.woodmagazine.com/default...._html___7___40

Should give you some ideas.

xman
      It\'s all in the name: Bucheron (FR)= woodchopper

Comment

If the garage/shop is an "unpainted canvas", I'd start off using every square inch of overhead storage---open rafters---storage---closed ceiling---hanging shelves, etc.

If you have the dedicated room---the prize would be to have your table saw in the center or slightly towards the main door---with full outfeed and extension tables. Also, read that having the jointer near the ts saves steps, as you often joint an edge, and put the jointed edge against your rip fence to square up the other side.

Drill press needs to be somewhere where you can put long stock, if needed---mine sits out in the room and I use the area behind it for a clamp cart I built.

If I had the room, I really like Norm's set up for miter saw and radial arm saw, sharing the same worksurface.

If you can swing it---I think both dust collector and air compressor, in an outside shed/room are ideal.

Thats whats off the top of my head---others will have some contributions as well. Good luck
        Dave

Comment

Backyard Woodworker,

Man, a 35x28 sized shop. Your making me drool!
          Heck, that's probably the size of alot of guys' back yard, period!
          Oh the fun it would be to design a shop that size.
          What kind of floor does it have?
          Is it insulated?
          windows?
          ceiling?
          I seen a design for a 36x36 in one of my mags a few months ago. *looking for it*

*1/2 hour later*
          Fine Woodworking Tools & Shops.
          First annual issue
          Winter 2001/2002 No. 153
          Page 50
          This would be a good design to work off from for that size of a building!
          Let me know if ya need help, love to help with a shop this size!

[ 02-04-2003, 08:18 AM: Message edited by: UO_Woody ]
          John E. Adams<br /><a href=\"http://www.woodys-workshop.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.woodys-workshop.com</a>

Comment

Hello all,
            The shop has cement floors,only two small windows along the back wall, and a flat roof. I was going to convert the roof to a gabled roof, along the lines of the Craftsman style I have, but live in a Historical District and making a change like that would be forbidden. I figured the space above the flat roof and the new gabled roof could be used for storage.
            My Son-in-Law is a Electricain and was wired the place with all the outlets and lights I can use for now. It had no prior electrical service, but is now wired with 220.
            The only drawback is it has a couple posts running down the center supporting a ceiling beam. Right now, I'm lining stuff up along the beams as to try not to waste space.
            I like a combo of the Idea shop 1 and the Idea shop 2000 at the link supplied in this thread. I would have never thought of flip up tools!
            Rob

Comment

I'm pretty new to woodworking and had a 14x20 barn type shop built in my backyard last fall. I did the inside finish and the electrical myself and put a wallplug every four feet all the way around with each wall and the lights on separate circuits and a GFIC at the head of each circuit. There's probably some plugs I will never use but I don't think you can put in too many. This lets you move your machines around until you get them all where they work best for you. Like Bucheron said,everything in my shop is on casters.
              Good luck with yours.

Comment

This is my first time ever using a chat room thing and I'm not even sure i'm doing it right to get to you. My question is, where can I get information on setting up a fairly complete wood working shop and material and project storage in 1,000 sq. ft. of space and that would handle approx. 6 students working at a time?

Comment

Harry, for such a specific question you may care to re-post on the Woodnet forum, where there is probably a much larger audience, including woodworking teachers etc.,

http://www.forums.woodnet.net/ubbthr...at=&Board=UBB2

See you their also!

David

Comment

Followed the link to the Forum. Ended up buying a HF Dust Collector!
                    Tried to register, but can't seem to get my pass word to take.
                    Other than that, looks to be a great site.
                    Spent the day moving machines. Moved my TS closer to the door, moved the joiner closer to the TS, moved all sanding machines into one area,(need to build a sanding table).
                    Starting to look like a shop!
                    Thanks for all the good advice.
                    Rob J.

[ 02-09-2003, 03:35 AM: Message edited by: Backyard Woodworker ]

Comment

No...No...it didn't get another one!!! (HF DC). For those of you not in the know. That's the subscription to join WoodNet. Hope you informed Cian, "THE KEEPER OF THE ROLE"

You seem to be in a moving mode. The HF mobile base at $20 is a low cost intro to the shop on wheels. You can spend every weekend just rearranging your shop ad infinitem!

David

[ 02-09-2003, 11:19 AM: Message edited by: Cutbuff ]

Comment

Working...
                      X