Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• r4510 table top coat wears after 2 weaks - is it normal?

Hi,

I'm quite new to woodworking. Bought r4510 about two weeks ago. At first top coat pealed a little at place were miter enters the table. After using a sliding table there are places where coat got completely worn out. Is this normal? should i be concerned about it? (I waxed table top using Minwax paste)

Thank you.

Re: r4510 table top coat wears after 2 weaks - is it normal?

Ok, on my way back home went to Lowes to check other brands on the floor.
    On dewalt paint peels of the top near miter slot same as on ridgid, i think after sliding wood on top of it it will ware same as on ridgid. It seems like this is common. Am i right?

Thank You

Comment

Vasyl,

Welcome to the Ridgid forum!

I'm not sure of what these saws are using for a "coating", as you say. But, my guess would be that any coating or painting, including a "powder coat" would show wear if there is a lot of abrasive movement across it's surface. Generally speaking, powder-coated finishes are more durable and less susceptable to abrasion and wear.

I guess the trick would be to keep a good coating of wax on it, in an attempt to minimize the friction and possible abrasion of the coated finish.

I have two Ryobi saws that have a "coated" finish of some kind. My BT3100 has a silver powder-like finish on it's ribbed table top. After five years of use, it is showing absolutely no wear at all. I've ripped quite a number of 8-ft pine and oak boards on this saw.

My Ryobi BTS21, (portable, with a folding carriage) has a platinum-color coating on a solid top (no ribs). I've only had it a year and it has received fairly light duty (cutting plywood sheets and some pine) and it is showing some light marks.

With the BTS-21 I've put several coates of Butcher's paste wax on it. But with the BT3100, I've only waxed the top once. I think the ribbed surface makes quite a bit of difference; but still, it appears that the coating is much more durable.

In any case, I don't know what you can do, beyond keeping it waxed, to minimize the wear.

Sorry this isn't more helpful,

CWS

Comment

Thank's for reply.
        I guess i coul return it to Home depot. But other then this and realoghning riving knife every time i change its position i'm quite happy with the tool.
        So will wax it more.

Thank You

Comment

Might be an idea to call / talk to the folks at HD before you load it up and lug it back. They sell a lot of product so should have some idea on this ... at least I would hope they would <shrug>.
          Free woodworking plans

Comment

Originally posted by vasyl_y View Post
            Hi,

I'm quite new to woodworking. Bought r4510 about two weeks ago. At first top coat pealed a little at place were miter enters the table. After using a sliding table there are places where coat got completely worn out. Is this normal? should i be concerned about it? (I waxed table top using Minwax paste)

Thank you.
            Vasyl,
            I bought the R4510 back in September and love it! I really put it through it's paces within the first two weeks on a laminated flooring job I had purchased it for. As for the finish problem you explained, I have very little to no wear at all. Perhaps your saw's finish is defective and therfore, should be returned or a warranty claim filed with Ridgid. This is the best portable saw I could find at any price, but after reading the posts in this forum, I now know that the quality of the saw is marred by the lack of service and knowledgable sales staff at Home Depot.

IF ONLY KOBALT MADE A RIVAL SAW i WOULDN'T NEED HOME DEPOT!

Sorry for the rant,
            Wil

Comment

Time is irrelevant. Usage is the key to wear. It seems inevitable to find some wear...more so with heavy usage. Without pics it's hard for us to judge whether its normal. The more pressing question is does it effect performance? If you want a more permanent surface, cast iron might be the right choice for you.

Comment

Working...
              X